More Pedal Drama: Vertex/mason marangella interview on reverb

I was just about to post this. It's kind of like if your spouse cheats on you. Do you ever trust them again? And they are effects builders so does it even matter? He makes some nice stuff but so do a lot of other folks.

Funny thing is, he could have paid a contract factory to clone the BBE circuit except for his mods, sold those in a generic wah case for the same price, and people would be fine with it.

I got to meet him at the Quilter Block party about a month ago. Nice guy to tell you the truth and not because he was selling his product there, but he was sincere in answering my questions. With the new Vertex Distortion that is now on the market, he had one that was open and available for customers to see and hold. I think that wah situation kind of put him in a bad place and now he is having to rebuild his reputation. It takes a long time to build a good to great reputation and very easy to tear one down. Vertex has come clean and is now in damage control.

2 - Pedal Parts - S.jpg
3 - Pedalboard Testing Station - S.jpg

I was just about to post this. It's kind of like if your spouse cheats on you. Do you ever trust them again? And they are effects builders so does it even matter? He makes some nice stuff but so do a lot of other folks.

From this interview I take away a sense of 'yeah, what I did was wrong but it wasn't really that wrong and shit just sorta happens'. But I don't know how edited the interview was to say that's a valid reflection of his values/ethics.
The part of this interview that discusses the wah issue specifically seems to have plenty of contradictions and rationalization.

Vertex pedals have never been on my radar for potential purchase and I doubt they will be with the plethora of alternatives.

I followed the original TGP thread where it all blew up and the guy was an utter douche up until the very end.

I wouldn't trust him to buy the right toilet paper let alone be honest with his business. Fuck him.

I don't see the problem with his wah. There's a very expensive wah on the market now where the builder admits on film he took, tinkered with it, and put his name on it.

I don't see the problem with his wah. There's a very expensive wah on the market now where the builder admits on film he took, tinkered with it, and put his name on it.

The problem is that the Vertex wah made all the cork sniffers look like idiots. It was a thing of genius until they found out that, horror of horrors, it was just a mass-market pedal with a simple mod. Just like the guy who made fools of them by selling gooped Joyo pedals at a huge markup. Selling mods to cork sniffers is only allowed if some revered TGPers have given the mod their blessing, and only if you’re honest.

It's weird, I'd never heard of this pedal company before, and now I'm seeing its name all over the place. I'm getting ads on Facebook everyday for the new distortion pedal from them.

I'll never trust him or buy his products. Fool me once, shame on me.

Fool me twice...well, you're not gonna fool me again.

Curious question for all, if Mason never had the issue with the wah, how many of you have tried or was planning to try a Vertex product?

Curious question for all, if Mason never had the issue with the wah, how many of you have tried or was planning to try a Vertex product?

I never even heard of Vertex until someone here posted about the Wah drama, so I wasn't planning on trying his stuff before that.

Back