Michael Spalt ResinTop Gate Series Ser#11

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://rebel-guitars.com/preowned-michael-spalt-resintop-gate-series-ser11/

Spalt-Guitar-Gate-Series.jpg

Gate Series

The gate to our new location in Vienna needed replacement. To me it looked like prime guitar-building material. Nice weathered Pine boards-resonant and light-with a wonderfully textured surface! Now, a year after the move, we are finally getting around to making guitars out of it. It will be a limited series of 50 (the boards will yield just about enough wood), commemorating our move and the new start of production after what turned out to be a more than 2-year hiatus.

The standard model guitars have a Mahogany body, a 25 1/2″ scale bolt-on neck (either Maple or Maple/Rosewood), a Lindy Fralin and/or BoneTop pickup combination, a Hipshot through-the-body bridge, Gotoh vintage style tuners and Dunlop Straplocks. This formula proved itself on our successful Totem-X series of guitars and offers a wide range of useful sounds. The use of a standard configuration will allow us to offer these guitars at an attractive price.

Gate Series Standard #11

• Body: Mahogany w/Resin Top
  • Neck: Maple
  • Fretboard: Rosewood
  • Scale: 25.5″
  • Frets: Med/Wide
  • Bridge: Hipshot String-Thru
  • Tuners: Gotoh Vintage
  • Strap Buttons: Recessed Straplocks
  • Pickups: Lindy Fralin Unbucker & SC
  • Controls: Volume, Tone, 3-Way Toggle
  • Case Included
$2800.00 + Shipping

Not a fan of the resin top concept, but that's a groovy looker right there. Decent specs. I'd play it to see what the RT does though...if I could even discern any difference that I could directly attribute to the top.

Wasn't there a resin guitar out a few years ago that people were raving about?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what is going on here....

Are there 2 series, the Gate and the Standard?

The idea of old pine boards used for an electric guitar doesn't excite me. Pine isn't really a hard tonewood.
The Standard is listed as having a Mahog body, so that sounds a little better.

Not sure what's going on here.

I like parts of it.... the bridge, the pickups, the aging idea... not a fan of the shape, or that green, or the headstock... and too many screws and shit around the controls.

I understand the concept, but it looks like after being cut, the wood separted/shrank while fully drying. Don't dig that design. It's that artificial relicing thing.

I love it!
It's almost a tele, but not quite.
Check out the little face in the upper bout. I would buy it just for that attention to detail.

Wasn't there a resin guitar out a few years ago that people were raving about?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what is going on here....

Are there 2 series, the Gate and the Standard?

The idea of old pine boards used for an electric guitar doesn't excite me. Pine isn't really a hard tonewood.
The Standard is listed as having a Mahog body, so that sounds a little better.

Not sure what's going on here.
Bill Kirchen aka Hot Rod Lincoln used a pine tele guitar and loved it. Said it had a real distinctive sound.

Back