Meditation/Mindfulness

I am not good at it, but it seems like if I just pull up a simple guided one on youtube, it helps me quite a bit. Any of you guys practice it? Does anyone have some resources for some relatively short guided practice?

I often lead guided visualizations, and use some mindfulness techniques to help me sleep. I have trouble getting to sleep due to racing thoughts; if I concentrate on my breathing I find it focuses my mind and allows me to go to sleep.

Mindfulness means, for me, being 100% conscious of my coffee and everything it offers me. That's about it, but it's a lot.

I do have a lot of Alexander technique ingrained in me as a classical musician as an actor. I find it incredibly helpful for identifying the stress points in my body. It's useful to lie on your back on the floor with a book under your head. You will soon realize that the moment you've relaxed one part of your body, tension will pop up somewhere else, just like one of those Whac-A-Mole games. But if you do it daily, it helps.

About a year ago, it seemed the world was conspiring to nudge me toward meditation. I ignored it. Too much ADHD.

About a year ago, it seemed the world was conspiring to nudge me toward meditation. I ignored it. Too much ADHD.
That is one reason I rely on a guided meditation. If someone tells me that I'm doing it wrong and I need to simply empty my mind of all thought my response is, yeah right. But with some guided meditation with or without some visualization I can call myself down pretty well. Even if I haven't achieved the umpteenth level of consciousness or anything. There is even some training available to lawyers on line. So I thought I would look for some at other good sources. I will check out the headspace one that Rev suggests.

I read some stuff about this in a book about the mental side of golf that made me want to try it. Haven't gotten around to it yet, though.

It would cut into my listening-to-music time...

I have been doing this for more than a few years, both in temples and out. The easiest thing I can tell you is pick 2 syllable word. Sit in a quiet place. As you take a breath in think of the first syllable of the word. Think of the second as you breath out. Concentrate on the syllables and nothing else. Focus totally on your breath. After awhile you will notice you've stopped thinking about the word or anything else. You're just sitting there breathing and not thinking of anything. Like anything there are no magical bullets that make it happen. Some days it just won't work no matter how hard you try, of course the harder you try the more you defeat what you're trying to do. If you're having a day just give up until tomorrow. Try to set a time to do it and do it at that time everyday you can. When you know your time to relax and clear your mind is almost here your mind will start to relax before you even start. Like everything else, practice, practice, practice, it won't come over night.

I need to get back on this. I did not have a peaceful mind late this week. Lots of frustration and anger. As you say, it won't come overnight. Have to keep practicing.

What about inhale on "just", exhale on "breathe?"

Whatever works for you. I tried it and personally I find the word breathe to long for the depth of my breath. I like my inhale word/syllable to be the same length as my exhale word/syllable.YMMV. Some of my teachers any not agree but my personal opinion is it doesn't matter how you get there as long as you get there. Unlike the kid who traveled hundreds of miles to the beach and brought his teacher back some sand, the journey is not the gift. The destination is the gift.

If you're in need of guilded meditations I would suggest the Buddhist Society Of Western Australia website under downloads they have a large number of pre-recorded guided meditations available.

I think I just outed myself.

Not so into meditation, but you might try some Yoga. Works wonders on stretching/relaxing the body, and the mind naturally follows.

YMMV

Last edited:
Not to be on topic, but I get the same mental benefits from playing music, particularly working on a new-to-me technique or lick. A banjo roll, piano groove, or fingerpicking pattern helps shut out all of the static.

Of course, I'm also a vocal advocate for mental health medication, so there's that for all of the uninvited pop-ups and mental death spirals.

Back