Meditation/Mindfulness

There are hundreds of great meditation soundtracks on Amazon Unlimited. Search for “binaural” to get the trippy electronic music tracks. The Honest Guys have a cool meditation for just about everything.

Steve, you can use a form of active meditation on the bike. It works really well when you are at a steady but brisk pace and need to lower your heart rate so you don't blow up.

During inhalation, mentally say "I am", followed by "relaxed" during exhalation. I can almost feel my mouth and lungs actually saying it. Your inhalation should be smooth, but your exhalation is forced out.

I like Thit Nat Han - breathe in, breathe out

W8GV100Z.jpg

I like Thit Nat Han - breathe in, breathe out

And buy his book. And his other books. And attend retreats at his gorgeous monastery in France. He’s built a nice little empire on breathing. At least he doesn’t wear a Rolex like Sadhguru.

I actually admire these guys. I wish I had the charisma to start a personality cult.

After a very, very busy winter this year (studied for and passed my level III alpine, helped run the ski program again, ran a law practice, family guy, etc.) I am getting back into this. I did some during the winter, and did meditate from time to time, using youtube as a guide. And used some concepts in my training for skiing as well. Body scanning and awareness particularly, which really helped the technical aspects of my skiing. Was trying also to bring it more into my law practice and business, and, though I estimated I had too much on my plate, tried to join a MBSR course this winter. To help bring the concepts into my daily work life, and other areas of daily life. didn't make it to many. But the course is starting again, and the instructor let me re-join at a greatly reduced rate, so back at it!

Here is some info on the course.

https://caitlinrenz.com/mbsr/

A little video from the instructor. Hey, I didn't know she played guitar!

It is now held at a local meditation and mindfulness center and not the YMCA. Nicer space. Though the Y wasn't terrible. Hoping that engaging in the 8 week course will help to develop more consistent habits.

Here is another little guided meditation vid she did as part of the course also. In case some of you folks might like it.

Tonight though, and the focus for the week is, body scan meditation. Just developing awareness to start.

If I want my racing mind to halt I just go watch a yoga class. Then, I'm not thinking about anything else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Probably indicative of some ego problem or other, but I can't stand being guided in meditation. I've had periods where I simply couldn't get away from intrusive stress (healthcare proxy for terminally ill parent), but if left up to my own devices, apparently my mind is empty of concern quite a lot.

When I ride the bike I'm literally unable to concentrate on anything, really, other than staying upright and how my body is responding. It's very nice. Skiing is probably like that for you?

One of my summer classes had an entire week dedicated to mindfulness. I've been gradually poking around the edges of meditation and breathing all summer.

I do yoga 3 times a week. I'm kinda addicted.
In fact I'm going to get certified to teach level 1 in July.

Well that didn’t work out. Had to slow down due to my RA. I still do the easy class once a week and the harder one now and then when my joints tell me it’s ok. It I’ve found I dearly pay for any strenuous activity if I overdo it. Gigs and vigorous vinyasa flow yoga are the worst, but even work around the house can put me down if I overdo it. I still love to paddle to0 so somerimes I just suck it up and go for it and pay later. A mans gotta play music and enjoy the outdoors after all.
This illnes is really debilitating, you need exercise but a little to much will set every joint in my body on fire for a couple of days.

Last edited:
Back