Mary Halvorson to release her first solo guitar album later this week...

Late to the comment party, but I did listen within moments of the thread being post...mostly.

I listened to the entire first. It was very compelling and at every turn I was either there with open ears or they grew to accommodate the journey. Excellent creativity there.

Conversely, I only listened to about 15-30 seconds of the second piece as I found the into too unpleasant continue sitting through.

Mary is quite good, but the epitome of not for everyone. I await the opportunity to listen to the entire album...even the piece I didn't get passed starting.

I guess she's one of those"I play sloppy on purpose because I can" folks.

It's brilliant as art.
[Keep my definition of art to myself]

I'm sure she's all the rage among the highbrow circles and pseudo intellectual cliques.
For those who actually want music to be enjoyable, inspirational, and not some kind of secret handshake hood ornament, it is unbearable.

YMMV

Music is art. Therefore, it's brilliant music.
Not in my world.

My personal definition of art is that some "artists" will literally give you the can of feces and add a pricetag on it, at this point their entire work of artistry is to bullshit the public into believing it is worth x amount of dollars.

Surely a man as smart as yourself has seen this in practice.

Therefore I call this brilliant art, not pleasing music. But we all have our opinions.

Hmm...the internet filter a work won't even let me go there. Maybe it's doing me a favor?

Access Denied (content_filter_denied)
Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "unavailable;Suspicious"

My personal definition of art is that some "artists" will literally give you the can of feces and add a pricetag on it, at this point their entire work of artistry is to bullshit the public into believing it is worth x amount of dollars.

This methodology is surely better suited to limited edition objets and large values of x?

This methodology is surely better suited to limited edition objets and large values of x?
Or musical equivalents of shit in a can. Is she selling the album, or charging admission? You're damned right she is. I'm sure she wouldn't object to large amounts of x for this.

Not in my world.

Therefore I call this brilliant art, not pleasing music. But we all have our opinions.

Music doesn't have to be pleasing to be brilliant. Music doesn't have to be pleasing at all. And nothing is going to be liked by everyone.

Or musical equivalents of shit in a can. Is she selling the album, or charging admission? You're damned right she is. I'm sure she wouldn't object to large amounts of x for this.

If there's only one (1) CD and it sells for $50k then we're talking about the same thing.

Not in my world.

But that's music all over, like all art it's super subjective. Complexity, "perfect" technique, etc. don't make music good or bad. Neither do pop conventions or lack of dissonance mean greater validity. Of course we all know this, but sometimes we forget. There are myriad reasons we like and dislike various music and I know for me there is little or no consistency for my likes or dislikes.

I find this hugely more pleasing (at least the first piece) than 95% of what has been a hit for last decade or so. The exploration and seeming lack of formula (and every genre has some basic formulas) are far more interesting and pleasing to me.

Back