Mary Halvorson to release her first solo guitar album later this week...

Too many demands on the Royal ear :snooty:

8923-531.gif

I suppose I could come to like her better with a more mature sample, but as of now, I can't feel it.

Using that comparison, Yes, he's right.

I don't think that Jbird was too far off the mark with his comparison.

I mean... postmodernist/posthistorical art vs. postmodernist/posthistorical music... anyone see the connection?

But I don't at all think that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Hmmm......I don't think I could listen to a full CD of that, but it has some very interesting moments. A bit too avant-garde for my ear, though the fuzz stuff was pretty cool.

She does have that semi-sexy nerd look going on though. She could be the sister of a running friend I have out here. They look alike.

But she doesn't qualify for postmodernist in the classical sense. She outdates if far too much.You can't reach back.
Some ( well a LOT ) of Zappa's work got waaaay out there, but the core of his expertise kept me listening. I am always willing to revisit artists as they grow.
If she gets naked, then we have a totally different discussion.

Reactions: Tig
But she doesn't qualify for postmodernist in the classical sense. She outdates if far too much.You can't reach back.

This is simply untrue. The invocation or appropriation of historical styles is something that goes hand-in-hand with postmodern art.

This is probably clearest in cinema, but it's there everywhere. Novels, theatre, dance, sculpture, architecture, etc.

The opening stanzas are noise. She eventually settles into some sort of musicality, but overall, she is immature at best.

Honestly you'd think it was Derek Bailey or something. It's very nice; I'll try to remember to listen to it on Spotify when it's actually out.

Back