Low ballers never fail...

We had another guy that would send ridiculous lowballs, then if you ignored him he'd keep emailing- "dude, I got cash in hand, I can meet you in 10 minutes- are you gonna do this or not?" I imagine his business model involved targeting the chemical dependency crowd I mentioned above.

We have one of these in my local area. He seems to have nominated himself as the CL pricing police. He is an idiot. I listed an MIM tele for 350, hoping to get 3 for it. He emails and posts that these are 200 bucks all day long. They aren't. 350 was a really good price. He does the same for everything.
They must have a franchise. There's a cock wad like that here as well.
I thinned the herd a couple of years ago and it was all next to new mid level stuff. Long\short, one was a Lite Ash Tele. This guy went into every possible explanation why my asking price was unrealistic.
I was ecstatic to send him a response a few hours later telling him how it sold for full asking price.

I never negotiate. If the guy wants too much I just wait for a guy who has one for the price I want to pay. Usually the company made more than one and patience will be rewarded

I never negotiate. If the guy wants too much I just wait for a guy who has one for the price I want to pay. Usually the company made more than one and patience will be rewarded

Maybe if you live in a major metropolitan area or are looking for something common. Here in my "B" market though, things that aren't MIM Strats or Epi LPs are rare as hen's teeth.

And, my dad taught me when I was a young'un to ALWAYS negotiate- the worst they can say is "no." I didn't negotiate on the $100 MIM Strat I bought the other day because I wanted to close the deal before somebody bought it out from under me, but if I can knock $25-$50 off just by asking, why not?

When selling, I always price my stuff on the high side of reasonable to account for this. Sometimes I get buyers who are hot to have and pay full price, but usually I get talked down a little. My dad dragged me out to swap meets and flea markets enough when I was a kid that this stuff is second nature.

I usually negotiate when buying and selling. But I don’t negotiate with people who are just dicks in the first email they send. Stupid low bids get ignored. Telling me how little the guitar is worth and how I’m overpricing gets ignored. This isn’t the bazaar of Bagdad.

Just as a side note, I used to live in Istanbul Turkey (mid '60s) and I'd visit the covered bazaar there. There was an art to bartering. If you paid the asking price, they thought you were a bit of an idiot, but if you low-balled, you insulted the seller. In other words, you had to show some sense there too.

Maybe if you live in a major metropolitan area or are looking for something common. Here in my "B" market though, things that aren't MIM Strats or Epi LPs are rare as hen's teeth.

I live in a town of 12,000 people. The nearest metro area is Madison 45 miles away.
I buy very little common. I looked for my Rickenbacker381v69 for 2 years until I found one at a price I liked. I don't want to go to some guys house and say, your $1000 Mexican strat is only worth $300 and if you want to take that we have a deal. I don't want to go to some guy's house and insult him. If a guy has something for sale and he wants a price I find fair I'm not going to kick the tires and lowball him. If he's a douche who wants a $1000 for a Chinese Squier because he looked up Strats online and that's what they sell for I'm not even going to waste either of our time.

I don't argue price on cars either. I recently bought a Land Rover I watched for a month until the guy dropped the price to what I liked. Drove 120 miles to get it.

Back