Low ballers never fail...

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I put a guitar for sale on Facebook for $175. I wrote:

ME: Price is $175 shipped. Paypal extra.

LB #1: I'll give you $100

ME: No thanks

LB #2: I'll give you $100

ME: No thanks

Someone ended up pulling the trigger within 10 min of me putting up the ad.

Statistically there are going to be some sellers who will respond to lowballs, usually ones with simultaneous chemical dependency and cash flow issues. It's kinda like the guys who go around the bar at 2am trying to pick up every drunk girl in the place hoping to eventually get lucky.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Statistically there are going to be some sellers who will respond to lowballs, usually ones with simultaneous chemical dependency and cash flow issues. It's kinda like the guys who go around the bar at 2am trying to pick up every drunk girl in the place hoping to eventually get lucky.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

This. At the end of the day it's just a business transaction. If the price I offer works for the seller then they'll accept; if it's not they won't. No harm, no foul.

It does suck though, when you post something for sale and the initial thrill of "oh, I got a response!" dissipates into "fuck, it's just another lowballer."

Unless the seller's price is just absurd, my version of "lowball" is usually knocking 8-10% off. I try not to be a time-wasting asshole.

Negotiate. I never pay what's listed on an item that's second hand.

I usually negotiate when buying and selling. But I don’t negotiate with people who are just dicks in the first email they send. Stupid low bids get ignored. Telling me how little the guitar is worth and how I’m overpricing gets ignored. This isn’t the bazaar of Bagdad.

I usually negotiate when buying and selling. But I don’t negotiate with people who are just dicks in the first email they send. Stupid low bids get ignored. Telling me how little the guitar is worth and how I’m overpricing gets ignored. This isn’t the bazaar of Bagdad.

There's a guy like this on my local CL- I don't even think he wants to buy anything, he just emails you and tells you you're stupid and your price is too high. I hear from him nearly every time I post anything, and I almost always get within 10% of my asking price.

I will absolutely lowball you if I think the item has BNF Potential. I expect to be rejected.

That being said, I'll always negotiate a reasonable price on something I actually want.

There's a guy like this on my local CL- I don't even think he wants to buy anything, he just emails you and tells you you're stupid and your price is too high. I hear from him nearly every time I post anything, and I almost always get within 10% of my asking price.

We have one of these in my local area. He seems to have nominated himself as the CL pricing police. He is an idiot. I listed an MIM tele for 350, hoping to get 3 for it. He emails and posts that these are 200 bucks all day long. They aren't. 350 was a really good price. He does the same for everything.

We have one of these in my local area. He seems to have nominated himself as the CL pricing police. He is an idiot. I listed an MIM tele for 350, hoping to get 3 for it. He emails and posts that these are 200 bucks all day long. They aren't. 350 was a really good price. He does the same for everything.
He would have paid $325 for it. If you just cut someone off then you're the dick. Second hand selling is all about the barter. If you're one of those people who types no low ballers then treats me like shit then I'll fuck with you from 4 or 5 different email addresses.

He would have paid $325 for it. If you just cut someone off then you're the dick. Second hand selling is all about the barter. If you're one of those people who types no low ballers then treats me like shit then I'll fuck with you from 4 or 5 different email addresses.

I've sold enough stuff to expect this guy's email. He has no interest in buying and doesn't reply to counter offers. His goal in life is to police craigslist. I have no issue with the back and forth of a barter interaction. I list for 350, you offer 200 hundred, I counter to 325, etc. This is normal. The dude I'm talking about publicly shames you in a CL post then fails to respond to counter offers or emails.

Last edited:
Second hand selling is all about the barter.

I couldn't disagree more. The seller sets a price and you can choose to pay it or not. Righteous indignation (I see this on CL all the time) about the price of an item is just silly. You can make an alternate offer, but ultimately it's this: Buy it or don't.

Some people go out of their way and post no low ballers, no scammers, no jerks. I've devoted 48 hours to one person like that and them thinking two people really wanted an item. Half day into it one dropped out but some new appeared interested and had them answer questions all over again and take different photos. If I'm truly interested I'll get facts together, know what I'm talking about and get done quick. If interested I'll make an offer and it may be low but I'll tell you exactly why. If I the don't want an item I'll tell why but thank you for your time.

Some people go out of their way and post no low ballers, no scammers, no jerks. I've devoted 48 hours to one person like that and them thinking two people really wanted an item. Half day into it one dropped out but some new appeared interested and had them answer questions all over again and take different photos.

You know that's profoundly fucked up, right?

I couldn't disagree more. The seller sets a price and you can choose to pay it or not. Righteous indignation (I see this on CL all the time) about the price of an item is just silly. You can make an alternate offer, but ultimately it's this: Buy it or don't.
Then you should go into retail. Second hand selling no more than yard sale or used car sales. You never pay the listed price and when you sell you need to price accordingly.

I've sold enough stuff to expect this guy's email. He has no interest in buying and doesn't reply to counter offers. His goal in life is to police craigslist. I have no issue with the back and forth of a barter interaction. I list for 350, you offer 200 hundred, I counter to 325, etc. This is normal. The dude I'm talking about publicly shames you in a CL post then fails to respond to counter offers or emails.
There used to be a guy like that on my old cl that would send an email offer of 10-100 bucks for everything, no matter the realistic value. Best part is He'd always get really pissy of you shot back a reasonable counter offer & tell you to fuck off with a short paragraph of what an asshole you are for wasting his time.

I'm pretty sure it was the guy that had a retail shop that just sold used gear looking for inventory as cheap as possible.

Edit: TBH I've rarely encountered an actual negotiation on CL, it's usually buyers who start crazy low with no intention of moving off that number or the real assholes who try to pull a fast one on you during the exchange....Like bringing less cash than agreed upon.

Last edited:
Back