Kiesel guitars got robbed!!!

It's sort of funny (in a way) that Carvin were one of the first manufacturers to have the SNAGG (sp?) chip installed as an option with their guitars. I guess this is a way to identify a guitar even if the serial number is removed.

Damn.

I don't care how anyone feels about the company/brand, this is fucked up. Thieves suck donkey balls.

I hadn't heard about this yet, but I have a couple of friends that work there, and being local , it hits close to home in more ways than one. Although they moved their operations a few miles south, Carvin was founded in my hometown, where I live. This sucks.

Obviously I'll keep my eyes peeled, but the cryptic lack of detail given in that video has me thinking it was an inside job. No one is going to be dumb enough to try and fence these things anywhere near here, or on the web. They were probably in Mexico long before the theft was discovered.

I just realized the funniest thing about this. Kiesel claimed these guitars are worth $40,000. But with the shitty resale value of Carvin/Keisel the thief will be lucky to get $16,0000.

In the case of the Tom Petty guitars, that was more likely a crackhead or a total idiot.

In the case of the Fender stuff... yeah, definitely stupid, but with the sheer number of Fender Guitars out there, even CS models, they had something of a chance of getting away with it.

Those were high demand guitars as well. In this case, we're talking about very particularly unique, one-off builds from a brand with a miniscule market share compared to Fender. Even here in San Diego, it's rare to see a Carvin listed for sale. 16 of them would be the biggest red flag ever. Hell, 3 or 4 would have the immediate attention of every Carvin fanboi in SoCal.
Seriously, what's the realistic market for a bunch of off-brand customer spec built individually unique guitars?

My Spidey Senses tell me that not only was this an inside job, but that it was done more out of spite than greed. That place is like Fort Knox, extremely close to an SDPD Sub-Station, and a little too far from the hiway to ensure a quick get away. It's also an area that is notoriously well patrolled by some very zealous cops looking for drunks leaving one of the many nearby high volume establishments.

All pretty risky for such stuff. Carvin speakers and monitors and rackmount power amps are as plentiful here as blondes in sunglasses. Easy to sell without turning any heads (if not much larger and therefore harder to steal).

Nah, these guitars are probably ashes at this point. Either that, or they're stashed away somewhere and unlikely to ever come up for sale.

My money is on an employee or two who have a personal beef and the wherewithal to get in and out of there with 16 guitars unnoticed. A random break-in by someone clever enough to get past the security, is pretty unlikely considering the items taken. Those items were specifically targeted, and likely because their theft would be the most "painful" to the company.

In the case of the Tom Petty guitars, that was more likely a crackhead or a total idiot.

In the case of the Fender stuff... yeah, definitely stupid, but with the sheer number of Fender Guitars out there, even CS models, they had something of a chance of getting away with it.

Those were high demand guitars as well. In this case, we're talking about very particularly unique, one-off builds from a brand with a miniscule market share compared to Fender. Even here in San Diego, it's rare to see a Carvin listed for sale. 16 of them would be the biggest red flag ever. Hell, 3 or 4 would have the immediate attention of every Carvin fanboi in SoCal.
Seriously, what's the realistic market for a bunch of off-brand customer spec built individually unique guitars?

My Spidey Senses tell me that not only was this an inside job, but that it was done more out of spite than greed. That place is like Fort Knox, extremely close to an SDPD Sub-Station, and a little too far from the hiway to ensure a quick get away. It's also an area that is notoriously well patrolled by some very zealous cops looking for drunks leaving one of the many nearby high volume establishments.

All pretty risky for such stuff. Carvin speakers and monitors and rackmount power amps are as plentiful here as blondes in sunglasses. Easy to sell without turning any heads (if not much larger and therefore harder to steal).

Nah, these guitars are probably ashes at this point. Either that, or they're stashed away somewhere and unlikely to ever come up for sale.

My money is on an employee or two who have a personal beef and the wherewithal to get in and out of there with 16 guitars unnoticed. A random break-in by someone clever enough to get past the security, is pretty unlikely considering the items taken. Those items were specifically targeted, and likely because their theft would be the most "painful" to the company.

Seeing as how the Carvin/Kiesel split was rumored to have created some hard feelings, I would say it's possible.

Are they two separate companies now?

Yeah, the company broke up among the family.
The guitars and the pro audio companies had split a year or so ago.
Thing is, it looks like the guitar side understands the new media market much better than the amp/audio side.
I may not like all of Jeff's designs, but he's internet savvy, and pretty hungry for the business.

I was robbed on Christmas Eve a few years ago, while I was out of town spending Christmas with my daughter's family. The detective that was handling the case said that it was likely drug related. They steal what they can, then turn it over to a drug supplier for their fix, that supplier moves the stolen property up the supply chain in exchange for product, and very quickly the stuff is out of state and is extremely hard to trace. That's why, it rarely shows up in local pawn shops, Craigslist, or eBay - the drug dealers know better than to post anything, or try to pawn it locally. Those things are watched by the police.

Of course, then there are the complete knuckleheads that are just looking for a quick buck, and make it easy for the police. Mine situation didn't turn out to be connect to knuckleheads, unfortunately (they got a diamond ring that had belonged to my father, and my mother still doesn't know that it wa stolen).

Back