jello's Bariatric journal...

I think that I got so wrapped up in preparing for the surgery and it's long term implications that I didn't take the time to consider the actual event and it's short term implications...

It was major abdominal surgery...invasive as hell...there are 5 holes in my stomach and my ab muscles, such as they are, have been severely compromised...

I am extremely uncomfortable...

I think that I got so wrapped up in preparing for the surgery and it's long term implications that I didn't take the time to consider the actual event and it's short term implications...

It was major abdominal surgery...invasive as hell...there are 5 holes in my stomach and my ab muscles, such as they are, have been severely compromised...

My friends that went through it said the first few days were the worst part. Mojo and hope you get to feeling better!

I bet...the good news is that you'll get better. It's understandable that given what you had to do you would be wrapped up in the prep more than the post op. I was lucky with my last surgery (knee), it was my 5th so I was expecting the worst since I knew exactly what I was going to be in for and was fully expecting the first 3-4 days post op to suck. And this time they didn't so I was over the moon.

Hopefully you'll get back to a more normal situations sooner than later

You had major invasive surgery. It will take time to heal. Take a lot of time to rest and sleep. Don't push yourself.

Today's the day to start back onto the protein shake routine...so far I can only handle 4 ounces at a time, so I'm spreading it out through the day...I also need to work out a vitamin and pill regimen that balances through the day...this is gonna take a few days to work out...

I need 3 8ounce shakes per day...I also need a multivitamin, B12, 2 calcium citrates, D3, 2 gall bladder pills, 2 pepcids, 2 Zofrans, 1 blood pressure pill, and whatever amount of Tylenol is necessary...plus 2 liters of water...

...all of that in a stomach with, at the moment, a 4 ounce capacity...

Lemme know when you're ready to do some running -- I've got lots of soccer games needing refs!

Glad to hear that the recovery is going well. That's an awfully big,lifestyle change you're making there, Walter!

Well, now I know what it feels like to something my stomach doesn't like...:ack:

I've been introducing allowable food options into my routine for a few days now, and last night I made myself a pot of tomato soup, which tasted amazing and went down well...so I decided to finish off the leftovers tonight...but I also added about 6 saltine crackers, which I allowed to soak thoroughly before I attempted to eat them...

...yeah, maybe a bit premature...

I was fine most of the way through until I apparently went that one bite too far...as soon as I swallowed I know I was in deep shit...big time stomach ache, comparable to those nights I ate the whole plate of chickem parm and spaghetti at Tony Boffa's...only instead of a whole plate I took in just under 8 ounces of soup...

I really need to burp...

I'm averaging between 500 and 600 calories a day...as the doctors and nutritionists told me, as long as you get between 60 and 80 grams of protein each day, and take the necessary vitamin supplements, you're nutritionally stable, making the actual calorie count insignificant...it's been relatively easy to get the proper levels when all you're taking in are protein shakes that provide 25 to 30 grams each, but now that I've reached the point where I'm going to be adding other soft foods it's going to be more difficult to get the proper levels...

Back