jello's Bariatric journal...

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
Those of you who have met me in person or seen the very few pics of me that have been posted are aware that I am, to be blunt, fat...at this point I am about 5' 7" and am tipping the scales at right around...400...

...yeah...

Lately there have been some real issues starting to stack up...plantar fasciitis in my left foot, some kind of strain in my right ankle, what I think is a torn meniscus in my right knee, lower back issues, out of control blood pressure (need to get back on meds), more frequent asthma wheezing...I could go on...I had to swap vehicles and take the garbage cans (on wheels) out to the road this evening when I got home from work and could barely get my leg high enough to reach the running board on my truck...

I missed my annual physical due to the weather and need to reschedule...I'm thinking it may be time to start listening to my doctor about possible surgical intervention...

I'm NOT a gluttonous pig...those of you who went to Pragestock this year can attest that I don't eat huge calorie counts, but I just cannot lose weight, no matter what I do...I've been on many diets, none have had any effect at all except for the summer of '83 when I pretty much just stopped eating for 3 months and got down to 200 from about 245...this latest weight gain has been a slow, steady build up that has been unchecked for about 15 years...at one point I said I would never let myself get past 300...that was 100 pounds ago...

I think I may have to get the process started after the first of the year...so I guess I'm going to spend my 50th year in a manner I had never anticipated...hopefully I can get through the most unpleasant procedures in time to get my shit together for Pragestock 2015...

It's funny...I never wanted to live forever...but the closer I get to my "senior" years the more I want to get to enjoy the time I have left (Wow that sounded morbid)...

I'm not sure what I wanted to accomplish by posting this...I think maybe I just wanted to actualize the thought process that's been going on in my head for the last few weeks...maybe seeing it in print will make me commit to it...I don't know...but I may be standing at an actual crossroads in this mess I call life...

Just a ? Do you have diabetes? That can make it hard,if not impossible to lose weight. Your body stores EVERYTHING as fat. My sister in law had gastric bypass about two years ago. It's a lifestyle change for sure. But it is only a tool. Some people have had it and it didn't work. Good luck. Get all the info you can before you decide either way

David, the reason I started working so hard was that I was creeping awfully close to 400 and I hadn't put the breaks on when I was heading towards 300. But in the last 8 months I've lost 40+ pounds, went from never working out to working out 3-5 days a week, and I've done an obstacle course race and a 10k. When you're a big of a guy as we are it takes time, but you'll get there. Don't give up; even if you fall off the wagon you shouldn't beat yourself up, but just get back to it ASAP. If I eat like shit over the weekend, I make sure to not cheat during the week even a little. If I missed gym time, I miss a cheat meal. You hVe to prioritize it as a change in your whole lifestyle, rather than just adding "diet and exercise."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, made a new appointment with my general doc...in about a month...for a physical, bloodwork, and to get a bariatric referral...

Just a ? Do you have diabetes? That can make it hard,if not impossible to lose weight. Your body stores EVERYTHING as fat. My sister in law had gastric bypass about two years ago. It's a lifestyle change for sure. But it is only a tool. Some people have had it and it didn't work. Good luck. Get all the info you can before you decide either way
I am not a diagnosed diabetic, but I wouldn't be surprised if I've developed it...

Thyroid could be a culprit too. One of the easiest things you can do for yourself is to start walking. Try to work up to a mile a day. It's low impact and good for your heart and will help lower blood pressure. Stay away from sugar, bread and dairy and you'll start to see gains pretty quickly

Do what you need to do Brother. We have your back. I have never gotten 'big' due to my natural body type, but I was at about 200 pounds (heavy for me) and in absolutely shitty shape. Started walking/hiking and cut back on fats/pop/etc. Then I started running and dropped about 20 pounds. It won't be easy, but it will be worth every sacrifice. You CAN do it. Definitely check with your Doc and get ready for the ride of your life. Stay with the program no matter what. I know a lot of people who have dropped 100 or more pounds.....it can be done.

Best of luck.I dropped weight witha diet change,lean meat,no starch and lots of veggies.

David, good for you for getting the ball rolling. I know it's hard - it takes a lot to motivate me, but I usually have a breaking point...anyway, it's going to take time, but within a few weeks, you will notice a positive result, and that will feed on itself. My wife, even with her health issues, has been able to lose 80 pounds in a year, which has had a MAJOR positive impact on her overall health, even if the non weight-related issues remain.

:thu:

We got your back buddy! We had a bass player that was about 500 pounds. He sat on a stool, couldn't carry his own gear, etc. He did the bariatric surgery and he's about 200 pounds these days. It can be done.

MOJO! Have you been to a dietcian? I will be 49 this month and even though I am very very active I have to watch every bite and count every calorie. I'd also get a full physical to make certain you arent diabetic and that everything is working right. Bariatric surgery may be the best bet. Hope you can get it worked out

I'm in the same boat. I'm about 3 bills. I started through the bariatric surgery at my hospital but wussed out. I thought I could lose the weight on my own, but it hasn't worked.

Keep in mind, the surgery is (obviously) permanent, and so are the lifestyle changes. What changed my mind is wanting to be able to eat a slice of cake every now and then.

What I'm going to do is look up the foods that are prohibited through the surgery and work on eliminating them from my diet now. That way, I can probably lose some of the wight without the surgery.

I had a friend who was in the same boat. He had bariatric surgery and lost 150 pounds. I went a year without seeing him during that period and when I did see him I didn’t even recognize him. Give it a shot before its too late.

Good luck. I've battled this my entire life. I'm 5'10", and right now I'm about 280. However, I'm fortunate in that I'm able to carry it pretty well (I'm still able to referee high school soccer, ride a bike 25 miles a day, etc.) But, no matter how active I am, it's really difficult to lose weight and keep it off -- it's a question of metabolism as much as anything else...

Went for the initial blood draw at 7:30am...Dracula had to break out the power tools to get to the vein, and missed...ended up tapping the suicide vein in my left forearm...then sucked out 5 vials...

...and so it begins...next is a complete physical next Monday after work...

Best of luck. We can all share ou stories about what worked, or didn't work, for us, but your story is your own and it sounds like you are doing what you need to do to move the plot in the direction you want. Good for you, and much positive mojo your way.

Reactions: Tig
jelloman, there are very few people in this world that don't face weight issues at some time, so you are in good company. The way to deal with it may be different, but the common denominator is that a true desire to change, and to do what it takes, is the first step. Looks like you are doing that, so WTG! Keep coming here for the support, because we'll be here for you.

Reactions: Tig
Back