January Original Song Reveal!!!!!!

Mnewb1 - Two submissions - he has been busy.

Both good. I like the textures of the first but I think the second is a better song.

Jaxn Slim: Whoa! I am really digging this. First excellent chops from arppegiated chords in a very tasteful progression to a rocking middle, to excellent slide work and a rocking ending...tasteful and delicious!

What he said. Excellent playing and the guitars sound great.

Rsadasiv -

I started writing this for the December Murder Ballad challenge so that's my excuse for all the heavy/dark/Debbie Downer. I'll try and be more upbeat this month.

FINALLY getting around to listening to these. Life got in the way.

Posting my thoughts without reading anyone else's comments first so some of my questions may have already been answered.

@Gary Blanchard goes electric - I can dig it. I like the chord changes and vocal melody here. And a guitar solo! You're right, this is quite different for you stylistically.

@gtrjunior great recorded tone on the guitars, what do you use to record? Love the harmonized lead lines. Is that a harmonizer or did you double track it? Sounds very tight.

@Chicken Man I love this! Is that a rotary phone noise providing the "snare" sound? Really creative arrangement here with the vocal parts. I like the lyrics too.

@mnewb1 first song - nice thick guitar tone and synth bassline. I also like the synth solo. Second song - I like the groove of the drums here. This is a very chill tune, relaxing and grooving at the same time. What kind of synths do you use?

@rsadasiv sound collage? This is disturbing, that is probably the point. What's the sound from? I love stuff like this. Kind of has a Pink Floyd vibe with the audio verite.

@Peen Simmons great melody and lyrics as usual. Kind of reminds me of "Eve Of Destruction" but with better lyrics. Nice!

Good work everyone.

Thanks @smurfco. I'm recording direct with a Blackstar HT Dual pedal using the emulated out and a noise gate to clean it up a bit. The effects (Reverb/delay) are added in the production stage.
Those harmonies are separately tracked guitars. No harmonizers used.

Thanks @smurfco. I'm recording direct with a Blackstar HT Dual pedal using the emulated out and a noise gate to clean it up a bit. The effects (Reverb/delay) are added in the production stage.
Those harmonies are separately tracked guitars. No harmonizers used.
That is impressive - I assumed it was a harmonizer because the parts are so closely tracked with each other. That shows a lot of control and precision in your playing.

That is impressive - I assumed it was a harmonizer because the parts are so closely tracked with each other. That shows a lot of control and precision in your playing.
Thanks! It's something that @Mark Wein mentioned to me so it's something I was very conscious of while recording this. A few of the bends are slightly flat but I can live with the minor imperfections!!!
Trust me, it was NOT done in one take...lol

[USER=567 said:
@mnewb1[/USER] first song - nice thick guitar tone and synth bassline. I also like the synth solo. Second song - I like the groove of the drums here. This is a very chill tune, relaxing and grooving at the same time. What kind of synths do you use?

Thank You

So, the bass synth on both songs is a recreation of a minimoog D in eurorack modules from a company called AJH Synth. It is a modular so I patch in a good bass sound then use a midi keyboard to play and record into Logic through my audio interface. The other synths are simply software emulations. The Lead synth in the first song is a preset on the ES2 synth which comes with logic...The synth in the break on that song is an Arturia Jupiter 8. I programmed drums in the first song and used ezdrummer for the drum set. In the second song I used midi drum loops from Logic, but I substituted the drum kit from ezdrummer again. All guitar amps cabs and pedals are software emulations from Logic.

@Gary Blanchard goes electric - I can dig it. I like the chord changes and vocal melody here. And a guitar solo! You're right, this is quite different for you stylistically.
I find I am stretching out a bit more in my writing and recording. That song was inspired by listening to a Ziggy Marley CD, though it sounds nothing like Ziggy Marley. It just put me in a different frame of mind.

Back