January Original Song Reveal!!!!!!

Awesome. I'm stealing that.
+1. Do you mean "copy" as in "cut and paste" or "play again a second time"?

My listening so far:
Blanchard: Pretty cool. I think you're getting to where you write/play in a way that leaves room for the production. This one doesn't sound like an acoustic/vocal track that you sent off to somebody to sprinkle fairy dust on, it sounds like a recording of a song.

Gtrjr: Sounds great. Twin guitars are always good. I especially like the turnaround that first shows up around the 1 min mark. I can't be sure after one listen, but it sounds like you switch to a different interval between the guitars or something--it makes a great transition back to the start of the motif.

Mnebwb 1, submission one: Crank that vocal! It's swimming a bit too deep for me. Or maybe the vocal isn't the point. I really like the watery sound of the guitar on the solo.
submission two: I really like the cleaner synth sounds, and the vocals come through on this one. The burpy bass provides just enough contrast.

Ram: The only-electric-and-vocal thing is hard to pull off--it always sounds like a bedroom recording--but it really works here. The playing is simple but not stupid. I think the intro could be a lot shorter and still make your point.

Peen: I like the melody and guitar part.

Chicken Man - Cool rhythm track; I got a Paul Simon vibe from that.
I WAS TRYING TO SOUND LIKE PAUL SIMON!! I love his writing, but that style is not in my wheelhouse at all. I think the fact that you picked up on it suggests the influence was more regurgitated than fully digested, but at least I got it over the net.

Oh, and I missed jaxn's submission until re-reading through the thread. The slide playing is really great. I love the switch from the Southern rock style to a more Harrison type thing, and the chord progression retains my interest throughout (not usually what I get form a chord progression--it's extra-interesting).

Blanchard: Pretty cool. I think you're getting to where you write/play in a way that leaves room for the production. This one doesn't sound like an acoustic/vocal track that you sent off to somebody to sprinkle fairy dust on, it sounds like a recording of a song.
Thanks. Other than the drum machine, I played all the parts myself. I have gotten to the place where I say, "I could not do that live, but that's okay." Then Sonik mixes and masters it and the magic happens.

That's a good philosophy. Being able to do all of it live is overrated.
I gave up trying to "do it live" a long time ago...I simply don't have extra time in my life to commit to playing out live...I love the ability to produce at home. It has really been the creative outlet I need. Every time I start on a new song, project, I learn new things about music, recording and producing.

+1. Do you mean "copy" as in "cut and paste" or "play again a second time"?

My listening so far:

Gtrjr: Sounds great. Twin guitars are always good. I especially like the turnaround that first shows up around the 1 min mark. I can't be sure after one listen, but it sounds like you switch to a different interval between the guitars or something--it makes a great transition back to the start of the motif.

Mnebwb 1, submission one: Crank that vocal! It's swimming a bit too deep for me. Or maybe the vocal isn't the point. I really like the watery sound of the guitar on the solo.
submission two: I really like the cleaner synth sounds, and the vocals come through on this one. The burpy bass provides just enough contrast.

Ram: The only-electric-and-vocal thing is hard to pull off--it always sounds like a bedroom recording--but it really works here. The playing is simple but not stupid. I think the intro could be a lot shorter and still make your point.

Peen: I like the melody and guitar part.
For something like a bass guitar, I mean cut and paste. I want it to match perfectly. But for regular 6 string guitar I'll play 2 separate tracks....that makes it sound more organic. At the very beginning (rhythm guitars)you can hear that there are 2 different electric guitar tracks because they don't 100% match perfectly....but that's a good thing. It helps the song breathe a little which is what you want. IMO

I WAS TRYING TO SOUND LIKE PAUL SIMON!! I love his writing, but that style is not in my wheelhouse at all. I think the fact that you picked up on it suggests the influence was more regurgitated than fully digested, but at least I got it over the net.
Quite the contrary, what I picked up on was a Paul Simon influence in use of words and creative approaches in rhythm; it did not at all feel like an attempt to regurgitate his style. I probably picked up on it because I love that in Simon's work and know it is not my style and I don't attempt to do it. It was nice to hear someone show the influence without resorting to copying.
I appreciate that, but I might point out that this song is a detour for me. I had what I felt was a weak idea and needed to prop it up with bells and whistles. Acoustic/vocal tracks sprinkled with fairy dust is what I do, what I choose to do, what I love to do, and do proudly. :grin:

For something like a bass guitar, I mean cut and paste. I want it to match perfectly. But for regular 6 string guitar I'll play 2 separate tracks....that makes it sound more organic. At the very beginning (rhythm guitars)you can hear that there are 2 different electric guitar tracks because they don't 100% match perfectly....but that's a good thing. It helps the song breathe a little which is what you want. IMO

OK, I'm a beginner. How is the same track panned left and right different from a single track in the center? I see the advantage of two different tracks, but if it's cut and paste it seems like it'd be 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I appreciate that, but I might point out that this song is a detour for me. I had what I felt was a weak idea and needed to prop it up with bells and whistles. Acoustic/vocal tracks sprinkled with fairy dust is what I do, what I choose to do, what I love to do, and do proudly. :grin:
I misunderstood the division of labor between you and sonik. I think that a song that depends on production is just as valid as a song that holds up around the campfire--"Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Everyday People" both sounds pretty lame without the production.

OK, I'm a beginner. How is the same track panned left and right different from a single track in the center? I see the advantage of two different tracks, but if it's cut and paste it seems like it'd be 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I misunderstood the division of labor between you and sonik. I think that a song that depends on production is just as valid as a song that holds up around the campfire--"Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Everyday People" both sounds pretty lame without the production.
For the most part, I do guitar, vocal, bass, and keyboard tracks and send them to Sonik; he mixes them and masters them to bring out the best with what he has to work with. On this track I used a drum machine, electric rhythm and lead guitar, bass, two synth tracks, and the vocals. Sonik changed the drum track, provided the fuzz-tone and feedback, and mixed and mastered it. This song was too weak to work without "rocking it up." :grin:

A bass track probably should be left in the middle of the stereo field...but it is a good idea to to pan different instruments around the stereo field so they dont clash with one another, and I will often double the guitar track and pan them hard left and right to broaden out the stereo field.

I don't think I can answer that with a technical answer other than it makes it sound bigger...you'll have to try it for yourself and see.
2 is more than 1....
When you do it like I described you'll see that you'll need to lower the faders on the bass tracks because it sounds more "bigger-er"...

I don't think I can answer that with a technical answer other than it makes it sound bigger...you'll have to try it for yourself and see.
2 is more than 1....
When you do it like I described you'll see that you'll need to lower the faders on the bass tracks because it sounds more "bigger-er"...
Buuuut... Doesn't it sound bigger because there's more of them, and you'd get the same result if you just put two bass tracks right in the middle? And wouldn't it be the same if you just turned your one track up a little bit?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Maybe it would be the same if they were both in the middle but just turning up the volume isn't the same thing. A thinner, louder sound isn't the same as a bigger sound. There's no right way to do it...experiment and do what sounds best TO YOU...
I panned them because that's what popped into my mind to do....ymmv

If you want, this weekend I'll solo the drums and bass from my song and upload a version as-is and another with the pan centered. I'll make no other adjustments, if you're interested in seeing the difference? I'll just upload a small snippet and not the whole song.

Buuuut... Doesn't it sound bigger because there's more of them, and you'd get the same result if you just put two bass tracks right in the middle? And wouldn't it be the same if you just turned your one track up a little bit?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

if you put two of the same bass tracks together in the middle, you are going to get a lot of phase issues where parts of the audio will cancel each other out and you will end up with a smaller (?) sound.

Who wants a line of my magic dust?

:embarrassed:
I must say that you do an excellent job of putting lipstick on the pigs that are the tracks I send you. And, with Reality, I finally gave you some room to show more of your ability. Thanks, sir!

I would recommend Sonik to anyone who wants to improve the sound of a recording.

Sorry, been a bit busy, but finally back.

Gary Blanchard - Gary wanted to make sure I mentioned that @sonik gets credit for the song production.

Enjoyed hearing you in a different context than your recent recordings. Good song and good production.

re: magic dust - ask sonik to hook you up with some of his Outre Lights vocoder and tempo synched filter moves.

Back