It is time... 5F1 Build Thread

What kind of saw blade or tool do you use to make that kind of corner joint?

I don't know if it's how those were made, but you can buy dovetail jigs and use a router bit to make them.

I always used finger joints on my cabinets. I made my own jig and used a table saw and dado blade to do the joints.

Here's how I do my finger joints.

Jig.jpg
FirstCut.jpg
EndCuts.jpg
Joint.jpg

That one above makes sense because all the slots are square.... That angled thing was crazy, and they were all perfect.

The way the dovetail jig works is that the router bit is conical, and has a bearing that rides against the jig.

I'll probably pick one up if I ever make another cabinet. My homemade jig worked fine for the finger joints, but it's not as fancy as a dovetail joint.

61OrYaWfIKL.jpg

5068.jpg

BIG UPDATE!

Strap in folks because here we go...

This weekend was extremely eventful. Mrs. #3 left for Colorado Friday afternoon.. I started with the chassis on Friday night. Enough to get the transformers and chassis components installed.

IMG_1421.JPG

It took a couple of hours only because I wanted to familiarize myself with the pin-outs, transformers and kind of create a game plan for today (Monday).

Saturday we had a yard sale and I bailed once I figured traffic had died down... Then we started on the curly maple box. We learned from the pine box that the nice dovetails needed a little more room so we made the box a tad bigger than a traditional 5e3 sized box.

Cut the pieces and glued.
IMG_1403.JPG

I had to do my own dovetailing... I'm glad I learned. It's pretty easy with the right tooling. Just follow the guide.

While we were waiting we stained the pine practice enclosure.

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

Good ol' American Brown. The fixed baffle thing was a bad idea. That got 'readjusted' today. Plus the staining isn't consistent on the plywood. We did use ply on the baffle for the pine box as well as the cleats.

On the maple... Solid curly maple all around except for a solid pine baffle on plywood cleats.

Hey let's see if the glue dried!

It did!!!

IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG

We offset the back panels... So they're trimmed down from 5/8 to 3/8. That way, we could screw it directly to the back of the amp.

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

We routed the holes out as an homage to a friend of mine... He did the circular ports on the back of my OTS head cabinet.

Issue - We did have to redo the top of the enclosure when we cut the control panel slot. We cut into some of the spare wood and had to use a spare piece for the top-back panel with the ports... It was warped. We tamed it the best we could so there isn't an exact flush mount but it's close.

IMG_1419.JPG

Now we route and shave the baffle to fit.
IMG_1425.JPG

Below... We mounted the chassis. And I elected to mount the volume pot dead center... Which offsets the mounting holes. It was further off than I wanted... but I'm ok... My OCD gets appeased with the knob in the middle so I'm going to go with it.

IMG_1424.JPG

Time to sand... 80 to 100 to 150 to 220 to 400. There's back and forth because each step shows a previous unseen error.. So it's 400 back to 150 then 220 to take out random scuffs.

Then staining/dying! We used wood dye and tung oil to get this looking great. I was in love with the pine box until I did the wood dye. It's really quick drying and easy to work with.

Survey says!

IMG_1426.JPG

Then grill cloth!

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

Chassis build is next!

Last edited:
Haha... Only 15 attachments per thread...

Electronics time!!! Hardware is already mounted on the chassis so time to populate the eyelet board.

IMG_1434.JPG

Taking my time.

IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

After this step, I ran to a local amp shop. They let me use bench space and that way if I have a question, I can just ask.

So I asked @Modern Saint and @Prages about mounting. It was suggested that I install a heavy duty ground bus. It's rigid and acts as a mount without drilling through the chassis. Take a look.

IMG_1449.JPG

I did have to put some shielding on the 16uF. Not proud of it but it's practical.

Drilled, installed and wired in the impedance selector switch.

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

Then point to points until my eyes went crossed. Once I was done... I stood up for the first time in three hours and almost blacked out. Ran it through a limiter... Forgot one wire from the pot to the board, so naturally there was not sound.

Readjusted and whammo. It was singing.

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

I still need to apply a few more coats of tung oil and then I'll take it out to mount in the cabinet. That should be Wednesday or Thursday. Work trip out of state for the next day or so.

Stay tuned for the reveal/final rose.

Attachments

• IMG_1444.JPG
    IMG_1444.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Nice work.

It's a magical feeling when an amp YOU BUILT fires up and makes sound.

I would think you could move the heater wires, maybe use a nylon tie or something and remove that shield over the filter cap.

I also think you're going to want to try a cathode bypass on V1a at some point.

Nice work.

It's a magical feeling when an amp YOU BUILT fires up and makes sound.

I would think you could move the heater wires, maybe use a nylon tie or something and remove that shield over the filter cap.

I also think you're going to want to try a cathode bypass on V1a at some point.

YES.

It's not the heater wires. It's a different pilot light assembly to accommodate the jewel I wanted. Simple fix.

We'll see about the cathode bypass.

YES.

It's not the heater wires. It's a different pilot light assembly to accommodate the jewel I wanted. Simple fix.

We'll see about the cathode bypass.
The 5E1 has one, 25uf/25v. I'd experiment, or use a switch.

I believe you can't bypass v1b because it would mess up the NFB.

Another thing you could consider is a 120pf (or less) silver mica (or ceramic, whatever) cap across the top of the vol control - a bright cap. Would work well on a switch - maybe sub in a push/pull for the master vol.

And sorry, I just can't leave an amp alone - it's a weakness, lol.

Back