It is time... 5F1 Build Thread

RyanNo3

Pedals - Pedals - Pedals
Log 2016.07.09

I ordered the Mojotone Kit - with the chassis and transformers. I did not note the impedance difference when chasing all of this down... So.. Issue #1 - I ended up sourcing a second one from ClassicTone and I'll put an impedance selector switch in... Just added $25 to my bottom line. The drawing shows my options. I may elect to put in a switch, but I'm also debating just putting a couple of jacks in...

26501-6b1fd0bc528c67f2b03a1f71c3fbfbbb.jpg
26502-22b0b7067419e5980fb2b5eab6a803a2.jpg

Took the morning off to source the wood for my cabinets. Old Man No3 and I went and got some curly maple and some premium pine (for practice on dove tailing & also to A/B against the curly maple). I'll probably end up dying it. Here's a good image for the style I'm pursuing.

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 4.19.36 PM.png

As for the cabinet, we're doing a 5e3 Deluxe size cabinet, a la Victoria Amps 5112. I don't think they strayed very far from the original 5F1 design. Once I get my greedy little hands on one, I can contrast/compare/correct.
I'm not covering it in tweed so I'm toying with these.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The Driver - I got this one off of eBay in an attempt to get a speaker that's from the era... So I got a
Cleveland 12" Ribbed Alnico 8 Ohm Speaker from 1964. It may be a piece of garbage, but I got it for about $30. We'll see. It's out of an old tube organ.

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 4.40.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 4.40.41 PM.png

Last update on the log - The 6V6... I've been reading wonderful things about the Brimar 6V6G

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 4.43.39 PM.png

Toodles

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 4.27.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 4.27.49 PM.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1376.JPG
    IMG_1376.JPG
    723.4 KB · Views: 25
Well this project is something Old Man #3 and I can can meet in the middle with. He thinks woodworking is relatively easy and I think the same about building the electronics. It should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fwiw, I would build/install new components such as a new 6v6, new rectifier and known to be working speaker. After you have it working, then swap out the components, making sure to measure the voltages and bias as you go.

Fwiw, I would build/install new components such as a new 6v6, new rectifier and known to be working speaker. After you have it working, then swap out the components, making sure to measure the voltages and bias as you go.

On the same page. I do need to get the sacrificial 6v6 and I have a spare 12. All other components will be new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you going to do any adds/mods? I'd be tempted to put in a 3 way switch for a switchable bypass cap on the cathode of the 12ax7. Probably would do the same for the 2nd triode of it as well (would experiment w/dif values and make that one permanent).

That, and a bright switch/cap across the vol pot.

Anyway, have fun, be safe - looking forward to hearing your results.

Are you going to do any adds/mods? I'd be tempted to put in a 3 way switch for a switchable bypass cap on the cathode of the 12ax7. Probably would do the same for the 2nd triode of it as well (would experiment w/dif values and make that one permanent).

That, and a bright switch/cap across the vol pot.

Anyway, have fun, be safe - looking forward to hearing your results.

I'm going stock for now. The only real deviations are to provide new circuit components instead of trying to source NOS caps and resistors.

Update - Old Man #3 is working on his dove-tail skills. He practiced on the pine...

First cab - Square Cabinet - Top and Bottom are equal depth.

IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG

Then he tried an angled one...

IMG_0361.JPG

Added the control panel / chassis cutout.

IMG_0362.JPG

We'll hit it with a router to round the edges. I may tweed one of these up. I guess I'll have to build more amps...:annoyed:

I'm going stock for now. The only real deviations are to provide new circuit components instead of trying to source NOS caps and resistors.

Update - Old Man #3 is working on his dove-tail skills. He practiced on the pine...

First cab - Square Cabinet - Top and Bottom are equal depth.

View attachment 28137 View attachment 28138

Then he tried an angled one...

View attachment 28139

Added the control panel / chassis cutout.

View attachment 28140

We'll hit it with a router to round the edges. I may tweed one of these up. I guess I'll have to build more amps...:annoyed:

That looks awesome. I wish I had those skills.

The pine "test run" cabinet is almost done. We're working out some issues with cab size and the mixed use of pine and plywood. This has a ply baffle (as will the maple) and the rear panels are also ply. We'll do a more traditional grill cloth to see how it comes together.

IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG

He's going to round it out today too.

This is making me want to clean my garage and start woodworking again.
Nice job!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Back