Incoming

xStonr

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I've been trying to keep the gas under control and only will take the plunge on a really good deal. I've been liking the specs on the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 for quite sometime but just couldn't find the right deal. Well the other day I found the right deal on a pre owned one. The price was so good that I didn't hesitate for even one moment. It should be here Tues or Wed.

hug-tubemeister18h_1.jpg

Do you or didn't you have either the 5 watt or 18 watter?

I had the 5-watt combo, which was a completely different animal. Reminded me of the Vox Lil' Night Train, and not in a good way (no low end, and can-of-bees dirt). I have played the 18-watt version and like that quite a bit - much more low end, nice cleans and a smooth, ballsy overdrive.

Ok, update time. The amp arrived on Wednesday. The package was a little suspect. When I shook it, the contents moved. Not a good feeling. Upon opening the box, the amp was only packed in it's carrying case. No bubble wrap or styrofoam for protection. I'm rationalizing that since it's a returned item (hence the killer price) the original box was damaged. I plug it in on the 18 watt mode and start on the clean channel. Beautiful. Sounds great as I'm dialing it in with the volume and gain controls. So far so good. I switch it to the dirty channel and omg. It's just on the edge of metal. I look and the gain is turned up all the way so I start dialing it back. No change in the gain. The potentiometer does not work at all. It just stays maxed. I try it on the 5 watt mode and it's the same. No change in the gain. While playing, I notice that I lost sound for a second. Uh Oh. Another problem. It's late so I decide to look at the input jack and see it's loose. I tighten it yesterday morning and while playing, the same. No adjustment on the gain and sound drops out and comes back in. It was subtle but noticeable. What to do. I call MF to let them know of the issues and ask what the warranty is on it since it wasn't new. The CS rep says let me see if I can get you a new one at a similar price. She can not. But came back with a killer price and a new amp. So as we speak, the old amp is going back to them as a new amp is in transit to me.

Bummer.

I considered getting one of those before I bought the EVH mini. If they would've had the 36 watter out at the time, it would've been mine.

Back