I may need an acoustic preamp pedal

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
The cover band is worried that even though we have about 45 songs to play at our debut gig, we'll be short on time. The truth is that most of the tunes are 2 minutes long and we'll be lucky if we get 40 minutes to a 15 song set.

Solution: I'm going to play solo acoustic. I can get up there for an hour and do my thing. Some originals, some covers, and I get to play guitar instead of bass.

Problem: the last time I played solo acoustic was years ago at open mic. I'm not even sure of the last time I plugged in my Taylor.

So I need a preamp pedal. I have no money for a preamp pedal. And preamp pedals are expensive. @baimun has the Tonebone PZ-Pre which looks like overkill for my needs. So does the LR Baggs Venue and the Fishman Aura Spectrum.

So I'm thinking about the Tech 21 Para DI. It's $200, but I should be able to find one used for less. If anyone has a thought that isn't something like Mooer or Behringer, I'm all ears.

There is no preamp in the Taylor?

It has the expression system. But you always want something extra when going straight into a soundboard. A preamp can help take the harshness out of the sound and the DI portion shows the board the signal level it wants to see.

The ToneBone PZ Pre is selling new from AMS for 200...why not go for overkill when it costs the same?

But howie, the PZ pre has xlr and amp outs, parametric eq, an effects loop and a solo boost. It's a speakerless amp for your acoustic.

There's a few of these on CL for $100. Could probably get one for less.

p15057.jpg

ah okay, :lol:

I don't keep track of that stuff.

I used a SansAmp thingie for my bass on one of our records, and I really liked it.
no idea what they cost, but I'm guessing it's more than you wanna pay...?
that's the $200 one you mentioned?

doesn't Boss make a dooddad that would work for what you need?

I'm so lucky that I'm technologically stupid. I just plug my guitar into the sound system and play and don't know better. :grin:

Baggs is supposed to be great, as long as your impedance play nicely together. It doesn't play well with K&K but I assume yours is Fishman? Don't know the particulars on that.

Sent from none of your fuckin' business!

Back