I may have found my new amp.....

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
I'm all about EL84s right now. I like my current amp but, well, I'm a guitar player. I went into Music-Go-Round yesterday and they have had a Gretsch Playboy amp in there for several months. Did not know it was an EL 84 based circuit. I did a bit of research. They were made by the Victoria amp company. Hand wired point to point construction. US made. They ran about $2,000.00 new but did not catch on so they discontinued them. They have one there for a grand. So I grabbed my Rev Flatroc and headed to the store to plug it in. Oh. My. Freakin. Word. Lush, 3D cleans. Tight bass and shimmering, glassy cleans. Lots of chime. Only 15 watts but plenty loud enough. A great tremolo as well. I think I'm going back tomorrow and buying it. No reverb so I'll have to get reverb pedal. Any suggestions in that regard?

This amp is seriously killer.......

When you find the one, you find the one!

Not familar w/that amp, but am into the el84 tone these days myself.

A pic.....

gretsch-g6156-playboy-275520.jpg

I almost sent you a link to a Gretsch playboy. It was 1960 ca. which is not what I thought you were looking for.

The newer ones are made by Victoria. I'd snap that up as quickly as you can.

:thu:

Because I'm an EQD pimp, I've gotta say to check out the Ghost Echo (spring verb that can do slap-back echo too.). OR if you need a delay too, check out their Dispatch Master- great delay and a real sweet reverb.

Sent from my iPhone at a Tijuana donkey show.

Are you sure it has enough headroom? We had one of those for Paul pigat one year and it wouldn't stay clean enough for him at club volumes.

Are you sure it has enough headroom? We had one of those for Paul pigat one year and it wouldn't stay clean enough for him at club volumes.

That is the danger of playing in a music store - I can't really get up to gig levels without getting ugly looks. We do mic the amp so we can always add a bit to the house if necessary. But that would be an issue with any 15ish watt amp - which is the range I am looking at. Something to think about tonight though....thanks for bringing that up.

That is the danger of playing in a music store - I can't really get up to gig levels without getting ugly looks. We do mic the amp so we can always add a bit to the house if necessary. But that would be an issue with any 15ish watt amp - which is the range I am looking at. Something to think about tonight though....thanks for bringing that up.
No problem. Paul was not happy with the amp and used my Deluxe for one show and the web cast he did here.

Nice!

BTW, while I was searching keyword "reverend" on a Google search, I came across a CL Denver ad...:wink:. I almost replied with a smartass comment, but didn't want to add to any CL bullshit responses :)

Nice!

BTW, while I was searching keyword "reverend" on a Google search, I came across a CL Denver ad...:wink:. I almost replied with a smartass comment, but didn't want to add to any CL bullshit responses :)

That would be my amp....it would be the first reply I would have gotten. No nibbles yet. I think I'll post it on the Rev forum.

Any idea of a fair price that those go for now?? I was thinking $700.00...but I'm not sure what the market is right now. I'm going to go take a few good pics....
I haven't really been paying attention. Check revfan.com you might find some info there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

There's a bogner metropolis on our local Craigslist. El84. I don't know if its 15 or the 30 watt version. $900.

Back