I bought something I normally wouldn't.

Just wondering, why did you choose this pedal as your metal-pedal-for-lessons and not a "metal pedal" in that price range? (I assume there is one)

It seems a little less surprising after I watched this demo:

There are ends of the spectrum I won't touch anymore. The whole Joyo/Mooer thing doesn't excite me, though I can definitely see they're getting better. Those NuX pedals I bought really surprised me, though I'm also 100% convinced I'll destroy them, which is why I'm selling them. OTOH, I'm not spending $300 for a guy to build stuff in his garage. Or more to the point, I'm happy to give that guy money if he's actually building something unique and if I can buy it through an actual retailer. I've seen too many people get burned. So I stick in the middle. Yeah, I might pay more for an Ibanez, BOSS, or DOD pedal built in China. But at least I know their reputation. Joyo and their brethren have a bit longer to go.

As for the cloning argument, think of it this way. The Joyo Ultimate Drive is a copy of a Fulltone OCD, which is a tweaked Voodoo labs Overdrive. That pretty much runs the gamut of price points in the pedal world. So buy the one that sounds best to you.

There are some Mooer pedals, like the bit crusher that I'd get, simply because it's not worth spending a lot of cash on a niche effect.

Back