I bought some crappy pedals

I finally have a day off when nobody else is home. So I hauled my Musicmaster amp out into the living room and ran it in stereo with my Peavey Bandit. Played my Tele into the Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver and these two pedals.

The disappointing part is the panning tremolo has a volume drop. I figured it would, but in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal. The rest of the Mod Core sounds are actually pretty good. Though I liked them in mono better than stereo. The vibrato with the momentary switch engaged is something special. The Time Core is a perfectly cromulent digital delay. The thing worth keeping it for is the 40 second Hold function. That's $1 per second!

So while neither my TZF or Echorec is in any danger of being replaced by these two, they were good buys.

Speaking of the TZF, while I had everything running in stereo, I tried something suggested on TGP. The TZF has stereo outs, so I ran out A to the Musicmaster and out B to my Catalinbread Valcoder running very slowly, and then to the Peavey. The slow speed on the tremolo added a nice depth to the TZF, and made it a bit more rotary-like. I then turned the mix down on both pedals and ran them in mono. I think I'm over the stereo thing now. Goodnight Roland JC GAS. Eat me, @OGG :tongue:
Yeah yeah yeah, all jokes aside, space and volume restrictions not being a consideration... a pair of JC' run in true stereo with the right gear in front of them is an almost out-of-body experience that you have to hear to appreciate.

Using two different amps fed by different final devices in the chain is not at all a fair comparison. It's hardly an approximation.

Now imagine being in front of a stage at Festival Volume while TWO guitarists simultaneously play through two separate pairs of JC-120S running in true stereo. It's out of this world.

Yeah yeah yeah, all jokes aside, space and volume restrictions not being a consideration... a pair of JC' run in true stereo with the right gear in front of them is an almost out-of-body experience that you have to hear to appreciate.

Using two different amps fed by different final devices in the chain is not at all a fair comparison. It's hardly an approximation.

Now imagine being in front of a stage at Festival Volume while TWO guitarists simultaneously play through two separate pairs of JC-120S running in true stereo. It's out of this world.

1. I would have been running one JC, in stereo, and then my Allen in mono.

B. using two different amps with different voicings can make for a fuller sound than two identically voiced amps.

iii. Stereo is self indulgent bullshit. Get a mix knob, ya knob. :tongue:

Reactions: OGG
1. I would have been running one JC, in stereo, and then my Allen in mono.

B. using two different amps with different voicings can make for a fuller sound than two identically voiced amps.

iii. Stereo is self indulgent bullshit. Get a mix knob, ya knob. :tongue:
That's why you used those little round EQ knobs to differentiate the voicings of the amps and fatten the sound. n00b

It's a decent pedal. I wouldn't trust it on a gig.

What are your criteria for trusting a pedal on a gig? When you said it was decent, I'd have assumed that included a reasonable build quality and a lack of it screwing up at any point while you played / practiced with it.

What are your criteria for trusting a pedal on a gig? When you said it was decent, I'd have assumed that included a reasonable build quality and a lack of it screwing up at any point while you played / practiced with it.

I'd consider them on par with Behringer and Joyo. They're cheap and sound decent enough, but I won't be surprised if they don't work the next time I plug in.

Option Knob is cool. Dunno how successful I would be at controlling it live, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it.

Prediction: I trip over myself, snap off the pot with the Option Knob attached to it, and buy a Foxrox Aquavibe.

crystalBall1.jpg

It's funny, I've been on this whole univibe kick and had no idea Trey used an original Shin-ei at MSG. I'm just now listening to some tracks. They sound fantastic and the univibe fits perfectly.

I doubled down and bought a Nux Mod Force. It has all the same effects as the Core, and adds a tap tempo switch. Maybe I'll put the Option Knob on either the depth or mix control.

I finally sold the Mod Core today. In all honesty, it's fantastic. But the BOSS GT-1 does everything the Mod and Time Core pedals did and more, so it was time for the Mod Core to finally go. Still, highly recommended if you can get one under $50.

Last edited:
Back