How do you breakdown your amp usage for your musical genres?

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
I used to be a do it all with one amp type of person. I also used to struggle to get blues tones out a Marshall amp or get hard rock/metal sounds out of a Fender type amp. Well now that I am much older and have more usable knowledge, I love to use different amps for different applications and room size.

Here is a breakdown of how I use my amp apps. I have broken them down into 4 generic categories.

Blues
  • Fender Excelsior
  • Tweed Deluxe
  • Tweed Super
  • Fender BF Princeton
Rock
  • Tweed Super
  • Marshall JCM800 (Retired)
  • Jet City JCA20H
  • Quilter Tone Block 200
  • Fender BF Princeton
Jazz
  • Quilter Tone Block 200
  • Fender BF Princeton
Country
  • Quilter Tone Block
  • Fender BF Princeton
  • Tweed Super
Do you breakdown your gear for certain applications?

Mesa Express 5:25 - country band, blues/funk band
Tele: country band
Strat: blues/funk band... sometimes I bring the tele though

That amp really does it all.

Dreck: Kustom Defender 5(H)
Crap: Blackstar HT1 SE
Acoustic trash: Fishman Loudbox Performer

Vox - Queen and lower gain rock stuff (particularly in the studio).
Victory - for when I need a wide variety of sounds and more gain, and I can't be arsed to carry the bloody Vox. :grin:

I own one amp and one electric and use it for every music type I play (rock, pop, country, almost metal). I just use different pedals/pickups.

Amp wise it's really simple.

Practice at Bedroom Volume: Boss Microcube

Everything else: Trace Elliot Super Tramp Tube 1 x 12" 100W combo(s). 1 or 2 of them depending on playing situation.

hard rock and metal - fuchs viper

blues, rock, alternative, jazz - fuchs TDS 100

late night practice - hotone heart attack

I like to diversify as much as is allowable given the confines of available real estate and the budgetary constraints that limit the tonal options I can justify paying for. In keeping with that modus, I employ the following amps for the corresponding musical type:

60s mainstream rock - JC 120

Surf rock - JC 120

70s Classic rock - JC 120

Hard rock - JC 120

Metal - JC 120

Punk - JC 120

Grunge - JC 120

80s rock - JC 120

90s rock - JC 120

00s rock - JC 120

Modern rock - JC 120

Blues - JC 120

Country - JC 120

Atmospheric Exerimental Chamber Music Accompanied by Leprechauns in Fedoras playing Pan Flutes and Theramins While Chanting Ancient Gaelic Lullabies Through Vocoders - JC 120

Sure, lugging all of those amps around from coffee shop to coffee shop for open mic nights is a little rough on the old back, but that's just the price you pay for staying true to your art.

I have three amps, a handful of sweet pedals and another handfull of cabs from 1x12 to 4x12. The amps are 20, 50 and 90 watts each. They all sound amazing at low volumes. They all sound amazing, though different at high volumes. Mix in pedals and cabs and I can pretty much do whatever I want with any amp at any volume. Sure, they each have characteristics they excell at but you should hear my dual el84 "20 watter" dimed through an EV 12L. F'ing sinister.

Mostly just use the ADA Rocket these days with the Holland lil jimi sprinkled in. Probably going to start using the holland a little more. Either of those amps cover everything with a pedalboard.

Back