HN never expected this to happen day...

Knox in Box

Rustbelt refugee.
So I found out a few days ago that the yearly Thomann Musicians Flea Market was going down today, and I have off work. Yeehah!!!

So my wife insisted that we go and twisted my arm really, really hard to get me to go. We took 150€ with us but I really expected to only look for a pedal or two because I was happy with the guitars I have at the moment, and have no place to put any more.

Came home with this. :facepalm:

IMG_20160716_145123.jpg

Right off the bench I walked into the flea market area and found a lower model Yamaha BB Bass I liked for about 160€ that I almost bought but decided to look around.

Found that in the event hall they have a scratch and dent sale of seconds of various conditions. Total cost of these three projects: 120€.

The SC450+ (60€)just needed a switch which I had at home and I now have it working and I have to say, my Dean is going bye bye though I liked it, and it always did well for me, it's not this good. Though a sunburst guitar looks a bit out of place by me.

The Prince (20€) needed tuners and a pickguard (I don't like the red tort anyway). Tuners I found in a bin there for 1 buck a piece, and the cashier gave them to me for free. I screwed the neck pickup directly to the wood for now and installed the tuners. Sounds great. I think my blue Tele is also getting sold, pretty sure of it actually.

The bass (40€) actually surprised me how light it is, I picked one up in the store once and it was a boat anchor, this one is nicely weighted. Brass saddles are nice and it has a nice flamed board. It only needs a nut from what I could see. But the wood in the slot was routed wrong and has a big hump in the middle. A bit of work with the dremel should do the trick.

Anyways, I'm a happy man. I should be able to make some money in the end.

Last edited:
I just wonder what colour pickguard I should do for the Prince guitar.

I don't like red tort, Brown tort wouldn't match the bottom, and I would probably cover that with alligator contact paper like I used to do. Maybe do both guards like that I guess.

414-1417513416-ce24c2397096c1143924654126939850.jpg

I just wonder what colour pickguard I should do for the Prince guitar.

I don't like red tort, Brown tort wouldn't match the bottom, and I would probably cover that with alligator contact paper like I used to do. Maybe do both guards like that I guess.

414-1417513416-ce24c2397096c1143924654126939850.jpg
Is it possible to go with no pickguard? The finish on that is sweet!

Edit: I was referring to the tele style guitar. I think you may not have been....

Great score! :thu:

How's the SC-450?
Plays really wonderful actually. Not quite sure about the pickups. I can get some great sounds out of it, but I'm having a bit of a noise issue. I may have to wire it again. It's sounding good just a bit noisier than my other humbucker gits at high gain.

Question: With a "normal" LP wiring, if you have the volume totally down on one pickup, does it turn completely off in the middle switch position?

HNGs&BD

My personal fav of all of them is the bass.

I would go black on the Tele PG.

What's an SC450? Other people seam to know, I'm clueless.

If you turn the volume all the way down, the "signal" goes to ground. Switch position or, anything else doesn't change that.

Wife is a keeper.

HNGs&BD

My personal fav of all of them is the bass.

I would go black on the Tele PG.

What's an SC450? Other people seam to know, I'm clueless.

If you turn the volume all the way down, the "signal" goes to ground. Switch position or, anything else doesn't change that.

Wife is a keeper.

SC450 is the Harley Benton model number for the LP guitar.

Plays really wonderful actually. Not quite sure about the pickups. I can get some great sounds out of it, but I'm having a bit of a noise issue. I may have to wire it again. It's sounding good just a bit noisier than my other humbucker gits at high gain.

Question: With a "normal" LP wiring, if you have the volume totally down on one pickup, does it turn completely off in the middle switch position?

Yes, it does; I always kind of wondered what the reason was. It can be modded to allow for blending, I reckon.

Ordered a brown tort guard to fit that Tele along with a matching trem cavity plate to cut down to size for the bridge part.

Yes!!!

So, pickguard is ordered for the Tele, LP is sounding and playing great. I'm living with the bit of noise accepting that others with humbuckers at that type of gain have some noise on demo videos, I'll just have to live with it too.

Now it's all about that bass.

IMG_20160718_142750.jpg

As you can see, the original nut slot was all jacked up. Maybe they broke a bit half way, power outage? Who knows? Fact is one side was higher than the other, and it had like a hump in the middle.

Broke out the dremel, and....

2 careful minutes later.

IMG_20160718_143337.jpg

And, she's now just waiting on the graphtec nut to arrive.

IMG_20160718_143419.jpg

Back