Help Me Choose a Foundation Overdrive

How many awesome amps and pedals you been through?

None that were as good as that Rockerverb :embarrassed:

The only amp I wish I still had was my Mesa Mark I head. It just wasn't the right amp for the band I was in at the time. Everything else has been close but not really what I needed. Pedals? Unfortunately for me, there are no good music stores in my area for pedals. The only way for me to try them is to buy them and really the biggest issue is not being in a band (or having unlimited cash). If I was in a band, I would have a sonic template of what I wanted my sound to be. As it stands, one minute I'm playing some Pink Floyd, the next some Pixies, then maybe some REM or Bad Religion. Maybe if I won the lottery, I wouldn't have to unload a pedal to get a new one.

None that were as good as that Rockerverb :embarrassed:

The only amp I wish I still had was my Mesa Mark I head. It just wasn't the right amp for the band I was in at the time. Everything else has been close but not really what I needed. Pedals? Unfortunately for me, there are no good music stores in my area for pedals. The only way for me to try them is to buy them and really the biggest issue is not being in a band (or having unlimited cash). If I was in a band, I would have a sonic template of what I wanted my sound to be. As it stands, one minute I'm playing some Pink Floyd, the next some Pixies, then maybe some REM or Bad Religion. Maybe if I won the lottery, I wouldn't have to unload a pedal to get a new one.

I'm not a re-creationist. I just play what I want with what I have.

I'm not a re-creationist. I just play what I want with what I have.

If that were true, you'd never buy another pedal :embarrassed:

Neither am I. I've never sat down and tried to nail a certain tone. But it's kinda tough to play along to a Bad Religion song on a fenderish amp without some kind of dirt pedal, it just sounds wrong. Trying to play along with a Floyd solo and not having delay sounds a bit wonky. It may be my ears, but even when I love a fuzz, after I play with it for a month or so, it doesn't sound great to me anymore, so I move on. There isn't a pedal I've ever owned that I've had to keep. Sure I loved the Echorec and the Meteore, but I am fine without them. Maybe if I was in a band and had some songs that needed those effects it would be different, but when my audience is a cat or occasionally a kid (when they are downstairs looking for something while I happen to be playing), or my wife before she yells turn that shit down, they aren't really necessary. Which is why I am fine with only owning my Rat clone and Red Llama clone. I have been basically pedal-less for 4 months now and I honestly don't really miss them. If the Rat I built wasn't so noisy, I'd probably just use that and not ever get anything else but at some point, I may replace it.

If that were true, you'd never buy another pedal :embarrassed:

Neither am I. I've never sat down and tried to nail a certain tone. But it's kinda tough to play along to a Bad Religion song on a fenderish amp without some kind of dirt pedal, it just sounds wrong. Trying to play along with a Floyd solo and not having delay sounds a bit wonky. It may be my ears, but even when I love a fuzz, after I play with it for a month or so, it doesn't sound great to me anymore, so I move on. There isn't a pedal I've ever owned that I've had to keep. Sure I loved the Echorec and the Meteore, but I am fine without them. Maybe if I was in a band and had some songs that needed those effects it would be different, but when my audience is a cat or occasionally a kid (when they are downstairs looking for something while I happen to be playing), or my wife before she yells turn that shit down, they aren't really necessary. Which is why I am fine with only owning my Rat clone and Red Llama clone. I have been basically pedal-less for 4 months now and I honestly don't really miss them. If the Rat I built wasn't so noisy, I'd probably just use that and not ever get anything else but at some point, I may replace it.

At this point, I'm only buying stuff with BNF potential, or that I've been salivating over for decades. Like if someone put out a Leslie sim that checked off every box. But really, it sounds like you need a band. :tongue:

I've mostly been flipping stuff because moving across state lines twice in 5 years caused a bunch of sell it and replace it later fun/chaos.

Plus my tastes as a player changed pretty significantly and I've been trying to work out a new status quo. Plus I'm in too many bands/projects and need reliable stuff that does what I want with minimal fuss.

At this point, I'm only buying stuff with BNF potential, or that I've been salivating over for decades. Like if someone put out a Leslie sim that checked off every box. But really, it sounds like you need a band. :tongue:

for about 15 years the only pedal I owned was a Rat. those 15 years I was in gigging bands. I didn't really buy any pedals until about 4 years ago, when I moved back to DC. So just think of it as I am catching up on the previous 26 years of not buying pedals :grin:

I've mostly been flipping stuff because moving across state lines twice in 5 years caused a bunch of sell it and replace it later fun/chaos.

Plus my tastes as a player changed pretty significantly and I've been trying to work out a new status quo. Plus I'm in too many bands/projects and need reliable stuff that does what I want with minimal fuss.

I've had a few move and sell periods as well. The longest house I have lived in in the last 20 or so years was the last house we were in and that was 3 years.

Back