Help Me Choose a Foundation Overdrive

Peen Simmons

Let’s Get Obtuse!
New guitar -- check
New big loud solid state clean machine -- check

Now I'm shopping for a Catalinbread foundation OD that will rock my world.

Think low to medium gain application. Lots of rhythm playing.

Tell me about your experiences and similar alternative options.

F55, DLS, or SFT. They all mimic the topography of their respective amps using JFETs. It's all about what amp you want to emulate.

In my experience with Roland JCs is that they are picky with dirt. You will probably have to try several out before you find one that works with it.

In my experience with Roland JCs is that they are picky with dirt. You will probably have to try several out before you find one that works with it.

Pretty sure he lives in Chicago. Bring amp to CME, unless they happen to have one there and, try them all.

What was that line of pedals we were discussing a couple of weeks ago that emulate a 5e3, bassman etc. circuits?

I dig. I'm sort of torn on which flavor I want to emulate...my gut says Fender tweed, but my heart is fickle and indecisive.
Well, what's nice about pedals is, compared to guitars and amps, they're relatively cheap so you can usually justify having more than one...put a Formula 5 or a 5F6 along with a DLS on the board and you'll have a nice Fender/Marshall duo available...or take a look at the Wampler PlexiDrive instead of the DLS...

I get emails from them all the time, 15% off pedals or, 15% off brand _____ pedals.
It's not earthshattering, you can still do better but, on a $150 or, $200 pedal and, it's all right there, one stop and you are done.

I agree about getting the amp to a good shop and trying out a variety. Esp with a JC. OD Pedals can be so amp sensitive, and a JC even more so I would guess.

F55, DLS, or SFT. They all mimic the topography of their respective amps using JFETs. It's all about what amp you want to emulate.
I would suggest also considering either of the Bassman ones, the FormulaNo.5 (Tweed Deluxe model) or 5F6 (Bassman). I love my FormNo.5. I also would consider a KarmaSuture (it is really a fuzz). Just because I love the online demos. In addition to the ones Howie suggests. And Chad makes a good point too.

EDIT: It looks like the F55 Howie suggests is the next gen of my F5 so, there is that to consider.

I agree about getting the amp to a good shop and trying out a variety. Esp with a JC. OD Pedals can be so amp sensitive, and a JC even more so I would guess.

I've been using the JC120's cutrate Fender equivalent at the rehearsal space, so I'm fairly familiar with how amps like that behave under dirt.

I would suggest also considering either of the Bassman ones, the FormulaNo.5 (Tweed Deluxe model) or 5F6 (Bassman). I love my FormNo.5. I also would consider a KarmaSuture (it is really a fuzz). Just because I love the online demos. In addition to the ones Howie suggests. And Chad makes a good point too.

EDIT: It looks like the F55 Howie suggests is the next gen of my F5 so, there is that to consider.

Leaning towards the bassman model, but the SFT is calling my name.

Back