Have you ever parted out a guitar?

wagdog

Ack
Thinking of parting out the hwy 1 tele I got a couple weeks ago. I got a good deal on it (which is why I bought it, too good to pass up)... but I now have 5 teles and pretty much always play my baja tele. It's got after market pickups, a nice worn in neck, and the body is a bit beat up looking (which means it's worth more, lol).

I just somehow feel guilty doing it; I've never bought a guitar to part it out. It's like there's some unwritten cosmic law in my mind that says it's wrong.

Yeah I did it to a CV Tele. Pillaged it for the pickguard, pickups, bridge and tuners. Sold the neck and body for slightly less then what I paid for it.
I did feel kind of wrong at the time but my other Tele was quite happy.

I did it once and felt like a butcher doing it. Made a little money but nothing stellar.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I have done it with 2 warmoth builds. There is no way to come close to making your money back selling a warmoth parts caster. I came very close parting it out.

Yeah, and this one isn't a dog, it's a decent ax. I just know I'd make a lot more on the parts then as a whole.

I've done it. It's not a barbaric act. People need parts too. If you can make more cash and you know you're gonna sell it anyway, part it out.

Yeah, an explorer clone with a cracked neck I bought for $10 at a yard sale. Still have most of the guts but I used the tuners for another $10 guitar from another yard sale. Anyone need a knock off floyd?

First, at least two parody thread titles have already entered my mind. But I will let them go.

Second, I've never done it myself, but if it would make more money I would definitely do it. Unless it's something like one of Hendrix's Strats I don't really see the problem. It's just a bunch of stuff bolted and screwed together, isn't it? If you can make a little bit more by parting it out, why not?

Back