Gretsch 6120-LSB GAS

Congrats on a great score. Why was it sold at such a low price? Does GC not consider TV Jones pups an upgrade?

Could be many reasons. This guitar in particular was Made in Japan. If it were USA made, the price would've gone up - I love MIJ made instruments.

Most of the Pro Line Gretsches have been MIJ for quite awhile.

That there 6120 new would have been in the low 2Gs I reckon :embarrassed:.

I figured that so I know that this is a killer score. However I can't consider my ducks are yet in a row until I take delivery. Only then it will be HNUGGD! Woohoo...

Congrats on a great score!
I'd go with a Compton or Tru Arc instead of a roller.
The intonation will be fine.
Put some violin rosin under the bridge feet.
If there's Bigsby tuning problems 99.99% chance it's the nut. Make sure the slots are smoothed and angled correctly towards the tuners. Lube it up good and your good to go.

So true.
The only USA Gretsches these days come from the Fender Custom Shop. Things like a replica of every scratch and decal that Bryan Setzer put on his 6120 for $25 k or custom colors for about $10 k.
The proline series Gretsches from Japan are fine instruments and new prices are in the $2 - 3.5 k range depending on the model.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. It's a deal that Fred Gretsch worked out to keep the brand alive and thriving. If it does that it can't be a bad thing.

Fingers crossed the deal goes through!

Fingers crossed the deal goes through!

Yes!!!

Nice find! :thu:
This will be a long 4 weeks for you, I'm afraid.

Not really as I have many other instruments that instruments that I can play. The waiting is more that Gretsch sound. There really is nothing that sounds like it and since I am in a big Chet Atkins type learning mood, this will help to make that learning push forward.

Right on. For the Bigsby, some type of roller bridge should help, but also check the nut. I had a Gretsch with a Bigsby a while ago. I ended up putting Sperzel locking tuners on it (I'm not sure if that helped with it staying in tune or not, I put them on everything) and had the nut cut by a really good tech and it had no issues with staying in tune after that even with the stock bridge. I don't remember what model mine was, but it looked like a Duo Jet with a flame maple top and I installed the Bigsby.

The build quality on the Japanese ProLines is great. You are really gonna enjoy that thing. I'd rec DiAddarrio 11-49s they work perfectly on my 5120 and is what it came strung with. I've never had Bigsby issues the Electromatic was perfect off the rack(luck of the draw I guess). Your odds on a nice nut on the 6120 is very good. It should be very stable. Remember that Bigsbys are not Floyds. They are to add a little shimmer, not dive bomb. If your a hard hitter and you have trouble with the floating bridge moving on you do the violin rosin trick, no need to pin it. The 11s will help with that issue too. My bridge stays put fine with no rosin needed with the 11s.

I'd be curious as to what kind of bracing it has. Gretsch does it several different ways. Sound post bracing, full hollow bracing, and tressel bracing. Tressel is the beefiest, full hollow the most resonant, and sound post is in between.

Last edited:
Nice! I thought at first that it might be a pre-Fender Era (before 2003) 6120 - those typically sell for lower prices than 2003 and later Gresches, but from looking at it, it defintely looks like a 2003 or later Gretsch. Does it have the trestle bracing inside the guitar (not all 6120s have trestle bracing). If so, doubly nice!

Nice! I thought at first that it might be a pre-Fender Era (before 2003) 6120 - those typically sell for lower prices than 2003 and later Gresches, but from looking at it, it defintely looks like a 2003 or later Gretsch. Does it have the trestle bracing inside the guitar (not all 6120s have trestle bracing). If so, doubly nice!

I will need to look when it comes comes. As for the year this one is a 2006

The build quality on the Japanese ProLines is great. You are really gonna enjoy that thing. I'd rec DiAddarrio 11-49s they work perfectly on my 5120 and is what it came strung with. I've never had Bigsby issues the Electromatic was perfect off the rack(luck of the draw I guess). Your odds on a nice nut on the 6120 is very good. It should be very stable. Remember that Bigsbys are not Floyds. They are to add a little shimmer, not dive bomb. If your a hard hitter and you have trouble with the floating bridge moving on you do the violin rosin trick, no need to pin it. The 11s will help with that issue too. My bridge stays put fine with no rosin needed with the 11s.

I'd be curious as to what kind of bracing it has. Gretsch does it several different ways. Sound post bracing, full hollow bracing, and tressel bracing. Tressel is the beefiest, full hollow the most resonant, and sound post is in between.

I will probably end up with 11's on it. My Gibson HR Fusion works best with 11's - no bigsby but stays in tune and the tone is incredible. As for strings I am a satisfied GHS Boomer user since the early 80's.

Back