Gretsch 6120-LSB GAS

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
I ran into one of these at my local GC yesterday going for an unbelievable price that I am having a difficult time not passing on. Been always wanting a Gretsch and have passed twice on used 6122's that we in excellent condition. The one in the pic is just from the internet (HCEG listed at $1600 in 2009) while the one I may purchase is not as clean but in very good condition (listed at $799). Many of the gold hardware haters will state there dislike but truly I like. From the serial number of the unit that I was looking at it was made in 2006 in Japan.

I will take a visit there in about 2 hours and if it is there, it will be mine. If it isn't, it was not meant to be. Sadly I still have to wait until after the 1st week of May to pick it up per GC policy.

DSC07487.jpg

Good luck. But at that price it’s most likely a typo and the guitar is a 5120.

Good luck. But at that price it’s most likely a typo and the guitar is a 5120.

I verified with the serial number and played it.

Almost sounds too good to be true. It doesn't have any structural issues does it?

I didn't see any other than the instrument was played but in a great way. Will do further inspection when I get there.

I do know that every so often I do come across instruments at bargain prices. My Ovation USA made Mando was a steal at $499 with case. They normally go used for about $900.

That looks very nice. A steal if it's in good shape. Also it's not orange, which is so overdone. The sunburst is not so "look at me and my baddass Gretsch". Much more my style.

If it were to not work out, keep an eye out for Annies as well, a great model.

Nice finish. BTW, the 2 toggles, the 2 control knobs instead of 4 (not counting the master volume knob0, and the gold hardware differentiate it from the 5120. It also looks to have a light flaming to the top wood.

At $799, I'd be concerned about 2 things: is there an electronics issue, or is it stolen and their looking for a quick turnaround?

Nice finish. BTW, the 2 toggles, the 2 control knobs instead of 4 (not counting the master volume knob0, and the gold hardware differentiate it from the 5120. It also looks to have a light flaming to the top wood.

At $799, I'd be concerned about 2 things: is there an electronics issue, or is it stolen and their looking for a quick turnaround?

The electronics are fine - played it plugged in. No serious issues with the guitar at all. As for the quick turnaround, the State of California is required to hold all used instruments sold to any of the stores - pawn or retail.

Oh, SHIT! :eek: I've shaken off my Gretsch flirtation, but damn, at that price I would hit very,very hard.

I never have and been dancing with the possibility of an Electromatic Jet. Then the G6120 comes along and boom....YES, YES, YES!!!

The electronics are fine - played it plugged in. No serious issues with the guitar at all. As for the quick turnaround, the State of California is required to hold all used instruments sold to any of the stores - pawn or retail.

I never have and been dancing with the possibility of an Electromatic Jet. Then the G6120 comes along and boom....YES, YES, YES!!!

I may get the cheapy Jet Club - there's one at CME in red, and it is a little rawk machine. Gretschbucker pickups are perfect for that little bolt-on slab!

So, didya pull tha trigger ?????

So I visited GC and bought they guitar. Due to the California rule I will not be able to pick it up until May 8th. The guitar plays and sounds great.

Early issues are:

1) Changing out the instrument jack. I do this to all used instruments and even some new.
2) Need to learn to use a Bigsby Trem. May looking into roller bridge saddles as it seems Bigsbys don't stay in tune well.
3) Need to experiment with string gauges. Unsure what is on there now but will try 10's first. It may be just like my HR Fusion which works great with 11's
4) Need to get a case. One doesn't come with it and when it was brought in, it did not come with one. May wait until after I bring it home to get one. My mono double case should take care of the job during the interim.

What was interesting when I was buying it was that the GC corporate NY office had one employee really interested in this guitar. Employees too need to wait the full month and if not sold, they have a chance at it. Anyway it is mine by receipt so far.

Here are some pics that I took.

Gretsch G6120 - 1S.jpg
Gretsch G6120 - 2S.jpg
Gretsch G6120 - 3S.jpg

So I visited GC and bought they guitar. Due to the California rule I will not be able to pick it up until May 8th. The guitar plays and sounds great.

Early issues are:

1) Changing out the instrument jack. I do this to all used instruments and even some new.
2) Need to learn to use a Bigsby Trem. May looking into roller bridge saddles as it seems Bigsbys don't stay in tune well.
3) Need to experiment with string gauges. Unsure what is on there now but will try 10's first. It may be just like my HR Fusion which works great with 11's
4) Need to get a case. One doesn't come with it and when it was brought in, it did not come with one. May wait until after I bring it home to get one. My mono double case should take care of the job during the interim.

What was interesting when I was buying it was that the GC corporate NY office had one employee really interested in this guitar. Employees too need to wait the full month and if not sold, they have a chance at it. Anyway it is mine by receipt so far.

Here are some pics that I took.

View attachment 19992 View attachment 19993 View attachment 19994

Nice!!!. I don't like floating bridges, so I am with you on the roller.

Congrats on a great score. Why was it sold at such a low price? Does GC not consider TV Jones pups an upgrade?

Back