Mojo Request Found a new house.

House and health mojo!
FWIW, my FIL got a hip replacement a few years back, and it made all the difference in the world.

Reactions: OGG
Are you having a trapeziectomy done for your thumbs? My wife had this done for both hands within the past three years, and it's really improved the flexibility of her thumbs and eliminated the pain. However, it has also decreased the strength. I'm not sure how or if this would affect guitar (she doesn't play).

Also -- just an observation: Are you a stress-magnet or a stress-junkie? Because, you sure seem to be well over two times the standard deviation when it comes to stress!

I have a good friend and former motorcycle enthusiast who got a new hip a couple years back(he was 45 years old). It worked out very nicely for him.

Mojo!

Are you having a trapeziectomy done for your thumbs? My wife had this done for both hands within the past three years, and it's really improved the flexibility of her thumbs and eliminated the pain. However, it has also decreased the strength. I'm not sure how or if this would affect guitar (she doesn't play).

Also -- just an observation: Are you a stress-magnet or a stress-junkie? Because, you sure seem to be well over two times the standard deviation when it comes to stress!
Stress magnet. Yup.

Not sure what the procedure is for the thumbs. I'll ask when I see the doc today. I know it's different from what my older sister had, and what she had sounds like what you are talking about.

In my case, there is ZERO cartilage in the base joint, and the bone is both worn down and riddled with calcium deposits.

They're a mess. When I saw the latest x-rays, it made me sick to my stomach. The surgeon was beyond surprised by the fact I hadn't made a bigger deal of it sooner, but that has a lot to do with my useless General Practitioner who's been out on medical leave for almost two years and had left me stuck dealing with his even more useless PA.

Congrats on finding a great house so quickly!

And major prayers and mojo for all the upcoming surgeries. No fun but hopefully they give you some pain relief.

Glad the house thing is looking positive. Mojo on all the surgery stuff. Sounds like a long road.

I hope they do opt for the trapeziectomy (removal of the trapezium bone), because at least in my wife's case that improved her mobility immensely and totally eliminated the pain. Apparently, there are a variety of techniques different surgeons use (hers was done at Stanford), but in all cases it should be outpatient surgery. Like everything else, the first five days or so are the worst (especially the first two or three days when you have to keep the limb elevated), but the most important aspect is to listen to and follow the directions of your hand therapist to the letter. It's been six months since my wife got the left one done, and she has only now stopped doing the exercises every single day. As a result, her results were really good.

Interestingly, my daughter will finish her academic studies in occupational therapy this May and her first fieldwork internship will be with a hand therapist. My daughter plans on becoming a CHT -- but it's a bit of a long-haul since they require 4,000 hours of direct clinical practice before she can sit for the exam.

Congrats on the house OGG and major health mojo to you. It's always hard for me to see relatively young people get hit with old people issues.

Mojo, man.

I'm kinda out of the loop... But what's the story on the house of horrors?

I hope they do opt for the trapeziectomy (removal of the trapezium bone), because at least in my wife's case that improved her mobility immensely and totally eliminated the pain. Apparently, there are a variety of techniques different surgeons use (hers was done at Stanford), but in all cases it should be outpatient surgery. Like everything else, the first five days or so are the worst (especially the first two or three days when you have to keep the limb elevated), but the most important aspect is to listen to and follow the directions of your hand therapist to the letter. It's been six months since my wife got the left one done, and she has only now stopped doing the exercises every single day. As a result, her results were really good.

Interestingly, my daughter will finish her academic studies in occupational therapy this May and her first fieldwork internship will be with a hand therapist. My daughter plans on becoming a CHT -- but it's a bit of a long-haul since they require 4,000 hours of direct clinical practice before she can sit for the exam.
Trapeziectomy it is!

First one will be in about 3 weeks. Second one roughly 3 months after the first.

Not yet sure when the hip replacement will happen, but sometime within that same timeframe.
Mojo, man.

I'm kinda out of the loop... But what's the story on the house of horrors?
It was shoddily "renovated" by the previous owner after his renters utterly destroyed it. At first glance, it looked great... we didn't notice how poorly and dangerously slapped together it was. I could write pages on that alone, but the real nightmare was the overwhelming stench of bodily decomposition emanating from a downstairs closet where apparently the previous occupants had locked up two large dogs and left them to die and rot inside for months. The dickhead owner just slapped a coat of paint on the walls and laid new carpet thinking that would properly cover it up.

To remove the deadly bacteria and stench professionally and make the home safe to live in cost a little over $30K, and that was just the biggest single chunk... altogether, to fix the mess left behind by his bungling handymen was near $100K. Trust me, some of the things these assholes did were mind numbingly stupid and potentially deadly.
Thipjo.

What's the prognosis for continued guitar playing?
Well, bad news there. We're talking about 9 months to a year before I can even begin to play again. Just thinking about it now is choking me up. I have no choice. It has to be done. My playing suffers because of it quite a bit as it is, and it's very painful. I can't imagine going a year looking at all those guitars and amps and toys and being unable to play. It's going to be rough.

I might just pack it all up and store it out of sight for a while. Out of sight, out of mind...

OGG -- in my non-professional opinion you should think about waiting at least six months between your hand procedures. Anyway, you can always change your mind after the first,and put off the second.

Back