February Songwriting reveal!!!

Thanks, gtrjunior. This new CD is turning out to have a nice blend of "classic" Blanchard and stepping out of the mold a bit. I don't know what the next three songs will be like, but it should be an interesting disc.

Chicken Man - George "The Animal" Steele
Sounds good. Can you post the lyrics?
He rumbles ‘cross the canvas like a semi over railroad tracks
Swings his arms like a gorilla trying to get a monkey off his back
With 15 seconds on the clock, he drops the flying hammerlock

(Chorus) Teeth in the turnbuckle,
Hair on his back,
Look out the Animal is on the attack
He’s got green teeth and tongue, Lord, what was his last meal?
He’s George “The Animal” Steele.

I was watching television in the hotel on a Saturday afternoon
I saw the Animal with Killer Kowalski and Gorilla Monsoon
The announcer says the thinks the Animal’s the missing link.

Chorus

They say Coach Myers disappears as soon as that last bell rings for vacation
grabs the duffel bag beneath his desk and heads right to the Greyhound station
He limps back in when the year begins, he won’t say just where he’s been.

Chorus

And I can't figure out multi-quote, but I did not write this song entirely in February, just finished it. Unless I've got a deadline, it's very uncommon for me to get through a song in a month. More frequently, I write a chorus, or two verses, or some other chunk, then sit on it for a year or so, then realize that it fits together with a different chunk I've been working on. Then it goes to the reconciliation committee to match up meter and rhyme scheme.

And I can't figure out multi-quote, but I did not write this song entirely in February, just finished it. Unless I've got a deadline, it's very uncommon for me to get through a song in a month. More frequently, I write a chorus, or two verses, or some other chunk, then sit on it for a year or so, then realize that it fits together with a different chunk I've been working on. Then it goes to the reconciliation committee to match up meter and rhyme scheme.
Funny how different people work. I rarely spend more than a week on a song and often write them in one sitting. Of course, part of that is my folk orientation; simple songs that reflect a moment in time. That is a very different way of looking at songs than most folks here. I really enjoy hearing what others do and learning their process.

gtrjunior:

I use a daw where I can multi tract multiple parts; drums, guitars, keys, whether organ piano or synths. This allows me to use mostly software emulations of instruments for keys and synths, amps and pedals....it also allows manipulation of multiple parameters on audio and midi files...also a lot of time on youtube learning new things and techniques all the time...

Do you find that the software emulators tax your system to any great degree? For me, when I use say, a guitar plugin I get a lot of latency while tracking. Instead I use a pedal with an emulated out which takes care of the latency issue. My laptop is on the older side now so maybe it's my system itself that is the issue!

Do you find that the software emulators tax your system to any great degree? For me, when I use say, a guitar plugin I get a lot of latency while tracking. Instead I use a pedal with an emulated out which takes care of the latency issue. My laptop is on the older side now so maybe it's my system itself that is the issue!

Yes...good point, that definitely is an issue, and when my old iMac crashed in Oct, I did get a very souped-up version when I replaced it...I got a 4.0 GHz i7 quad core processor and I have 24 GB of ram and a 1 TB flash HD....so this does have a lot of competing power to allow large session with multiple instruments without taxing the system

I am way fucking late listening to this, but I wanted to add some comments. I don't want to just comment on the ones I participate in.

@micwalt - everything sounds great. I wouldn't expect anything less. Everything about this song pops. It sounds HUUUGE!
@Help!I'maRock! @smurfco - Great guitar parts and lyrics. I love it when a stripped-down song with just acoustic and vocal tracks fills the space so well. It's not missing anything. I would definitely go out of my way to see you guys play.
@Chicken Man - Another really cool tune from you. It almost sounds like something you'd hear from a Nashville singer-songwriter, but it's not lame or cliched. You should go over there and teach classes.
@Gary Blanchard - The first part is incredible. The production reminds me a little of Johnny Cash's I Hung My Head from The American Recordings series but with the extra delay and synth stuff that works beautifully. I really like these collaborations you are doing with Sonic. You both bring so much to the tunes. Be The Change really resonates with me. Great lyrics.
@mnewb1 - Awesome use of the synths. The guitar and vocals sound great, too. I don't listen to lyrics usually, but yours are caught my attention in a great way. Fantastic tune!

@Gary Blanchard - The first part is incredible. The production reminds me a little of Johnny Cash's I Hung My Head from The American Recordings series but with the extra delay and synth stuff that works beautifully. I really like these collaborations you are doing with Sonic. You both bring so much to the tunes. Be The Change really resonates with me. Great lyrics.
Thanks. Sonik really brings out the best of the songs, and this new CD has given him more working room. As I add more parts, he has more to work with.

Back