February Songwriting reveal!!!

Micwalt - That is very professionally done, and is fitting for a truck commercial.

Help! I'm a Smurfco - From the opening guitar work, the neat lyrics and good singing, that is a very cool song.

Chicken Man - The music and lyrics suit each other, The backing vocals are very cool and help to bring the song to another level.

Mnewb1 - I loved the lyrics on this, and the music supported them well.

You are a talented bunch of folks, here!

Micwalt: Solid Rockin tune...a really good AC/DC vibe
Smurfco: I could definitely see this song getting rotation on Sirius/XM Coffeehouse! excellent song
Chicken Man: excellent mixing and production, I agree with Gary, the backing harmony vocals are a really nice touch here. I liked this one!
Gary Blanchard: really sweet...good songs to begin with and then the mixing and mastering by Sonic really brings them to a whole new level.

Thanks everyone. Another crazy work week.

I only wrote the lyrics/melody for this one - @Help!I'maRock! wrote the chord progression and the guitar parts.

I will give the rest a listen when I get a chance, hopefully tonight...

Listening piecemeal...

@micwalt this to me sounds like a more modern, heavier take on Free's "All Right Now". It makes me want to thunder down the Georgia asphalt in an IROC-Z with the t-tops down. In a good way.

@Chicken Man I always look forward to hear your originals. They're all so different but they all have "you" in them - you have an overall style but your arrangements and changes keep it eclectic. Very cool!

MicW: Sounds like a truck ad, for sure. Are those live drums? It sounds like a machine, but I know that you usually play eDrums.

Smurf/Rock: Sounds like an Alice in Chains Unplugged demo. The intro is a little long for me, but I love the guitar picking. Lyric has a "I Can See For Miles" type vibe.

Newb: Good fusion of organic/electronic elements--Is there a trick to that? If I play guitar over a synth, it sounds like two different songs playing on two different radios.

Gary: I've heard be the change before. Is this a medley, or two songs back to back? I was pretty sick of the swirling pad sound by the end, but I love the way your voice is consistently You through everything, despite the bells and whistles.

My song is a guitar-and-voice (with extra overdubbed voices) demo of a song I'm submitting for my band's Michigan-themed album, coming this summer. George Steele (real name James Myers) was a teacher and coach from Michigan who wrestled in one of the Northeastern wrestling circuits during breaks from school. He died last month. I rushed to get the song done, so it's not even a one-take--I did one pass of the guitar part for a verse and chorus, then cut and pasted it repeatedly until I ran out of verses.

I dig your style, mnewb.

Thank you. This was my attempt at an homage to Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle". with elements of traditional rock instruments and synths as well as a social message. Though I tried to use similar elements, I certainly don't come anywhere close to that masterpiece. The bass in the opening and throughout the song is a eurorack modular that recreates a minmoog. The organ and synths are all software emulations. the rhythm guitar is kept clean to support the organ on top without becoming a main element in the song.

Gary: I've heard be the change before. Is this a medley, or two songs back to back? I was pretty sick of the swirling pad sound by the end, but I love the way your voice is consistently You through everything, despite the bells and whistles.
This is two songs, back to back. On the CD, there will be no delay between the two tracks. That is the current plan, though that may change as I write more for the album, and based on your thoughts about the swirling pad.

Sweeping Circles literally came to me in a dream; I woke up with the first lines in my head fresh from the dream. I wrote it down immediately, before I forgot it. The next part was developed in the shower. This was the first time, I think, that I used all eight tracks I have for recording. Sonik panned some synth sounds to declutter the mix; his decision to use delay on the voice was brilliant, in my mind, as it suits the dream-like, circular feel of the song. He tells me that the delay was done in pieces so there wasn't a standard delay throughout the song. This is the second studio version of Be The Change, as I kept hearing a drum roll right before the break. My timing on the first version was spotty, and we were not able to add drums. This version is slightly faster than the original version, as I felt it dragged a bit.

Thank you. This was my attempt at an homage to Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle". with elements of traditional rock instruments and synths as well as a social message. Though I tried to use similar elements, I certainly don't come anywhere close to that masterpiece. The bass in the opening and throughout the song is a eurorack modular that recreates a minmoog. The organ and synths are all software emulations. the rhythm guitar is kept clean to support the organ on top without becoming a main element in the song.

I didn't think of fly like an eagle but I did check jungle love to see if you sampled that pew pew pew. Doesn't sound the same. :embarrassed:

Yeah, I have never sampled anything...I used the song as a source of inspiration and then create my own version....which is why it is not nearly as awesome as the original

Good group of songs all.

Micwalt
- Livin' For The Road (truck ad)
+1 on the AC/DC-Free comparison and yeah, sounds like a truck jingle.

Help! I'm A Smurfco! - Telekensis
+1 on the Alice in Chains demo vibe.

Chicken Man - George "The Animal" Steele
Sounds good. Can you post the lyrics?

Gary Blanchard - Sweeping Circles/Be The Change
The best arrangement so far.

Mnewb1 - Phoenix
Sounds really good. I used to work for a guy who said that Fly Like an Eagle was the ultimate test of Organ programming. You passed :).

This is two songs, back to back. On the CD, there will be no delay between the two tracks. That is the current plan, though that may change as I write more for the album, and based on your thoughts about the swirling pad.

Sweeping Circles literally came to me in a dream; I woke up with the first lines in my head fresh from the dream. I wrote it down immediately, before I forgot it. The next part was developed in the shower. This was the first time, I think, that I used all eight tracks I have for recording. Sonik panned some synth sounds to declutter the mix; his decision to use delay on the voice was brilliant, in my mind, as it suits the dream-like, circular feel of the song. He tells me that the delay was done in pieces so there wasn't a standard delay throughout the song. This is the second studio version of Be The Change, as I kept hearing a drum roll right before the break. My timing on the first version was spotty, and we were not able to add drums. This version is slightly faster than the original version, as I felt it dragged a bit.
Tip: in the future if you play to a click track you will always be in time and adding drums afterwards will be a cinch. Just be sure to remember or write down the tempo of the click.

I'm not able to be as active as I'd like, but I did write a song in February due to this thread. I wanted to have something to present but didn't get a good quality demo done in time.

It's a song to St Bibiana.

Micwalt: Great AC/DC vibe. I can see Ford selling lots of trucks with this!!
Help! I'm a Smurfco!:
I really like the guitar. I like the tension and release in it a lot.
Chicken Man: great lyrics and flow. I like how it all ties into the last like in each chorus.
Gary Blanchard: Dude....hands down you're best that I've heard yet! I'm thrilled that you've opened up to the idea of adding different/ new instrumentation. We had a conversation a while back where you said that you had always tried to record so that you could recreate it live. IMO, one of the reasons I like to see live performances is so I can hear it different from the album. At the end of the day, whatever you record is what will be remembered. The live show is just a variation. Like when a band makes an acoustic song out of an electric song. It becomes a treat for the listener that they get to hear a different and new interpretation. And sonik did a fantastic job with the production. Very creative and fitting use of Fx and bringing the recording to the forefront, if that makes sense.
Mnewb1: you're style is so different that's mine! I like the orchestration and instrumentation here. I wouldn't know where to begin to do this type of stuff!

Back