Dig it! Engineer guy shows brilliant design of aluminum cans

I remember seeing something about Coca Cola bottles years ago. About how incredibly strong they were. Much much MUCH, stronger than would ever be needed to contain a fizzy drink. Im talking about the old fashioned shape

af97820bfe2cd8ee374336a8a1fcd4b5.jpg

Don't think I ever drank from a can with a pull tab. Was the rim of the opening really sharp too? Or similar to today's cans?

Nice cans.

Don't think I ever drank from a can with a pull tab. Was the rim of the opening really sharp too? Or similar to today's cans?

Nice cans.
Depended. Some were a little sharp. Most were similar to today, though I seem to remember that the cans tended to seem just a bit thicker in terms width of the material. Not all pull tabs were created equally.

Needing a can opener was before my time. At least for beer anyways. Hershey's syrup still came in a can that you had to poke holes in. Still needed an oil can spout too. Thinking back on the oil cans, versus the plastic bottles they come in now, the oil can was ridiculous.

I remember beer cans with no tabs. You needed a can opener.

:thu:

I remember my dad teaching me to open those so I could be beertender at his printing club meeting. One big hole to drink out of, one little one on the other side to vent.

Reactions: DFB
:thu:

I remember my dad teaching me to open those so I could be beertender at his printing club meeting. One big hole to drink out of, one little one on the other side to vent.

I remember the giant cans of Hi-C (and other pseudo-juice sugar and dye cocktails) like that back when I was a kid. Those were still on the shelves not tooooo long ago.

I remember the old pull tabs. They littered the ground as bad, if not worse, than cigarette butts. Eventually folks learned to re-attach them to the can by putting the tab back into the hole, then bending the ring over the top of the can to hold it in place. Anyone else used to do that?
We used to break the tab loose from the ring, then wedge the ring into the tab in such a way that, with some practice, you could shoot that ring a considerable distance, maybe 15-20 feet. Ah, those were the days :wink:

I also had an entire curtain made of those pull tabs in my bedroom.

We saved up the ring part for zip gun ammo.
a 2x4 ,some rubber bands and fire away.

We used to break the tab loose from the ring, then wedge the ring into the tab in such a way that, with some practice, you could shoot that ring a considerable distance, maybe 15-20 feet. Ah, those were the days :wink:
I had totally forgotten about that, but we did that too as kids. Pull the flexible aluminum part off of the ring, and insert it into the little slot on the ring. The natural spring of the aluminum piece made for a good launcher, and those rings flew like mini frisbees. Good times...

I also had an entire curtain made of those pull tabs in my bedroom.
I used to do that, too!

I remember seeing something about Coca Cola bottles years ago. About how incredibly strong they were. Much much MUCH, stronger than would ever be needed to contain a fizzy drink. Im talking about the old fashioned shape

af97820bfe2cd8ee374336a8a1fcd4b5.jpg

Yes, but those bottles were re-used again and again. I remember taking them back to the supermarket for credit. They were cleaned, sterilized and used over and over again.

I remember these from Coors. The first generation of "tabless" cans. You had to push the dots down with your finger.
image.jpg

Yes, but those bottles were re-used again and again. I remember taking them back to the supermarket for credit. They were cleaned, sterilized and used over and over again.

I remember these from Coors. The first generation of "tabless" cans. You had to push the dots down with your finger.
View attachment 20357

Yep, we used to scavenge construction sites on the way home from school for discarded bottles, then take them to 7-11 and get enough change to buy a candy bar and a drink. The ultimate in green recycling.

I remember those Coors cans too. They had just started selling Coors in Texas when those came out ('75-ish?).

Back