Dig it! Engineer guy shows brilliant design of aluminum cans

I remember the old pull tabs. They littered the ground as bad, if not worse, than cigarette butts. Eventually folks learned to re-attach them to the can by putting the tab back into the hole, then bending the ring over the top of the can to hold it in place. Anyone else used to do that?

I remember the old pull tabs. They littered the ground as bad, if not worse, than cigarette butts. Eventually folks learned to re-attach them to the can by putting the tab back into the hole, then bending the ring over the top of the can to hold it in place. Anyone else used to do that?

No, I always just dropped it into the can. ...and everybody said, I would end up drinking it but, I never did.

Al-loo-min-i-yum

Regarding those pull tabs, even though they haven't existed for 30? years now, I still see them on the sides of roads and shit on occasion. Not as much as when I was a kid but you can still find them. Amazing how many of them are on the ground still.

On that note, BRING BACK THE REMOVABLE PULL TAB! So future generations of children can discover them along roadsides and national parks. Our ground tabs are dwindling as the decades pass.

Last edited:
No, I always just dropped it into the can. ...and everybody said, I would end up drinking it but, I never did.
I did the same. I bet I drank hundreds of cans of beer after dropping the tab in, and never once did it come out.

My wife used to get seriously mad at me for doing that - she was convinced I was going to end up dead, or at least hospitalized. I invited her to take an empty with the tab in it and turn it upside down repeatedly until the tab came out. She tried her best for several minutes with no success, but somehow I was the asshole for proving a point.

Women...

Rexam? Damn near killed him!
Great video. Every engineer in my office will be getting that tomorrow.

Great vid. I liked the old pull tabs, because you could make chains.

dsc07018.jpg

Back