Comparison: EL34 vs 6L6 in Mesa Rectoverb 50 combo - video inside

Aahzz

Habanero Evangelist
The 6L6s arrived today, so I did a comparison video for those who may be interested. I have my conclusion, which I've not mentioned in the video and won't mention here yet, but am curious to your thoughts on preferences.

I agree, btw - from the first chord I played, the 6L6s win. I really liked the amp with the EL34s, but I freaking ADORE it with the 6L6s.

They both sound good, but 6L6s.

I just love the top on that guitar.

Something to consider in this whole thing is that the amp was originally designed around 6L6s then later tweaked to run EL34s. So while it can sound good with EL34s I think the way the amp is voiced is really all about the 6L6s. Depending on the tubes, the only drawback is that you might need to dial back some bass when you really start cranking the volume w/ loads of preamp gain; the amp can get too flubby.

It really depends on the music that I am playing. If I want that British warm sound, I prefer EL34's. If I am looking for definition and clarity, 6L6's. In fact regarding 6L6's, I prefer 5881's over 6L6's.

It really depends on the music that I am playing. If I want that British warm sound, I prefer EL34's. If I am looking for definition and clarity, 6L6's. In fact regarding 6L6's, I prefer 5881's over 6L6's.

I live for definition and clarity :).

I may have to try 5881s at some point in this amp - these are a matched set of JJ 6L6GC

I live for definition and clarity :).

I may have to try 5881s at some point in this amp - these are a matched set of JJ 6L6GC

When I bought my Mark IIB eons ago, they came with 6L6's - very chimy and clear. The 5881 are much warmer but with the clarity too which is sweet. If you remember Mark testing my amp out and it has 5881's

When I bought my Mark IIB eons ago, they came with 6L6's - very chimy and clear. The 5881 are much warmer but with the clarity too which is sweet. If you remember Mark testing my amp out and it has 5881's

I hadn't seen that demo - that sounds freaking awesome.

I hadn't seen that demo - that sounds freaking awesome.

Prages built his amp first and I built mine after. Went for more of a vintage type sound. The amp no longer sits in a had and is now part of a 2-10" combo I use for jams and gigging. All part of the rotation. The clip had the amp running through an MB Thiele back cab with a Neodym Vintage 60 Celestion in it.

Whomever that beardless freak is, he can totally rock it.

and by the way, the 6L6s have far more depth and character.

Normally I like EL34s but they sound mushy in your amp. The 6L6s do sound better.

BTW, love the The Darkness riffage. :thu:

6L6 for sure. I thought the EL34 sounded thinner but a little cleaner/clearer on the bottom end. I think the EL34 would be good for a metal type chug chug rhythm for 80's metal, but for most other stuff I liked the 6L6 fullness.

Back