Chicken Bondage

instantsteve

Glowing Cloud
Actually, that's misleading. But a while ago I bought the parody book "50 Shades of Chicken" and that was a subcategory of the recipes. More recently I bought a compilation of recipes from Cooks Illustrated that contained a recipe for Weeknight Chicken. It is as simple as anything. Pat dry a 3.5 to 4 pound chicken, coat with about one tablespoon of olive oil, and rub with about a tablespoon of kosher salt and about a quarter teaspoon of pepper. Meanwhile you were supposed to be preheating the oven to 450 degrees F, with an oven proof 12 inch skillet heating in there too. The bondage part is that along with tucking the wings under the back, you have to tie the legs together too. I forgot the kitchen twine, but folded and folded a piece of aluminum foil into a thick strip about 12 inches long and bound the legs that way. Then you plunk the chicken into the skillet and let it cook with the oven on for about thirty minutes. You are supposed to measure the temperatures with a meat thermometer, but I diddle with danger. Anyway, after 30 minutes, turn the oven off and leave it there for another 30. Then take it out of the oven and let it rest for 20 minutes. I changed things a bit because my house brand Meijer chicken was 5.3 pounds. I left it to cook with the oven on for 45 minutes. The result was absolutely the best chicken I have ever had. It was supposed to have crisp skin, so maybe I did something wrong. However, it was not a bit dry, perfectly cooked, tender and juicy. I have eaten overcooked chicken all my life. I still loved it. But this is lots better. I was glad I splurged on a good quality metal handled skillet. I am going to get an oven thermometer so I get an idea of the temp in there. Also, it is a small oven, I am not used to cooking with gas, and there is no window. That is how I cook chicken from now on. The only thing I am going to try to add to the mix is that I have always cooked chicken with onions, because I love the caramelized onions in the juices.

Roasted chicken is one of life's ultimate pleasures. I've been craving it for months, I can't wait till it cools down so I can turn on the over.

The skin would have crisped a little if you had let it go a little longer at 450, and making sure it's very dry and close to room temp before you throw it in the oven.

Maybe the olive oil jinxed that. Also, I am sure I used less salt then called for. But I don't really consider crisp a flavor and I am good with the result. I will keep tweaking, especially on the caramelized onion thing. Since I don't want to lower the cooking temp of the chicken, I may try to do the onions ahead on the stove top and add them to the pan just before, or just after, in the pan juices.

You can also lay the chicken over vegetables, so you can enjoy roasted vegetables with it as they act like a bed. Here's TK doing his thing, this man knows roasted chicken. Of course, I know your watching the salt, so you might scream a little. :tongue:

You can also lay the chicken over vegetables, so you can enjoy roasted vegetables with it as they act like a bed. Here's TK doing his thing, this man knows fucking everything. Of course, I know your watching the salt, so you might scream a little. :tongue:

FIFY. :love:

You can also lay the chicken over vegetables, so you can enjoy roasted vegetables with it as they act like a bed. Here's TK doing his thing, this man knows roasted chicken. Of course, I know your watching the salt, so you might scream a little. :tongue:

He revealed the secret of the oyster! He must die. That aside, it gives me ideas. First, sauteing the veggies first might be a good idea. Part of the reason for putting the chicken in a preheated skillet is to sear the thighs to give them a little bit of a cooking head start on the rest of the chicken. So the chicken has to hit the hot skillet first. Partly cooked veggies then go in around the chicken. That is my next plan. Plus maybe edging the temperature up a bit.

FIFY?

As long as the chicken is consenting, whatever makes you happy man. :grin:

I'm kind of looking forward to cooler weather so I can make chicken soup again. Last winter I found a recipe I really like and I have been craving it.

Oh hell yes....

fifty-shades-of-chicken.jpg

I think I'm going to buy a copy of this on the way home. :grin:

The humor wore a bit thin from repetition. But the recipes sound good. My daughter is a former Twilight fan (very former. She hates it now) and she made off with it. Sometimes I think she is too advanced. What I did to the chicken was not at the level of that picture on the cover.

Back