Car GAS

I have been thinking about one of these because it's apparently OK to fuck up our natural resources while driving one.
2013-Subaru-XV-Crosstrek-front-three-quarter-splash.jpg

I always hated the idea of owning a minivan, but finally caved a few years back and we got a 1999 Pontiac Montana. It was a huge POS as far as the fact that it went through transmissions like crazy, and you could actually hear it rusting.

It was the most convenient damned vehicle I've ever owned though. 26 mpg, could haul tons of gear and 1 passenger, or just 7 passengers, or moderate amounts of gear and 4 passengers. The rear two rows of seats could be removed in sections in about 3 seconds. Had a roof rack so we could throw our kayaks up there.

But it was a huge POS. The sway bar was made of hollow tubing, so it rusted through and broke off. The drivers side front coil spring rusted through and broke off. The rocker panels were pretty much just rust. The A pillar rusted and caused the windshield to leak. The last straw was when the brake lines rusted through and we lost all hydraulic pressure (luckily in our driveway).

Still, I think we paid about $6k for it with about 70k miles on it, drove it for maybe 3 years and 100k miles, put a few hundred into repairs (transmission was under warranty) and sold it for $800.

And we had a lot of fun adventures in that van.

I was just looking at my local Ford dealer inventory online last night, they have a silver Focus Ti for $20k new, those list at $23k... I'm tempted to go look at it :embarrassed:

Reactions: Tig
I always hated the idea of owning a minivan, but finally caved a few years back and we got a 1999 Pontiac Montana. .
Could have been worse. You might have bought the Aztek.
CAR SHOW REVIEW:
"I was in the audience at the Detroit auto show the day GM unveiled the Pontiac Aztek and I will never forget the gasp that audience made. Holy hell! This car could not have been more instantly hated if it had a Swastika tattoo on its forehead."

I don't have anything to haul around,so a wagon is not for me.
I'll stick with the Wrangler.

My next car I've narrowed down to a early 2000's Ford Explorer 4WD or a mid 2000's Jaguar XK with a supercharged V8.

Decisions, decisions.

:lol:

From a purely practical standpoint, I'm leaning towards this:

IMG_2168.jpg

Back