Car GAS

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
When I took my car in to get fixed last week, they gave me a complimentary rental, a 2014 Ford Fusion SE with 3k on the odometer.

The Fusion is a bigger car than what I need, but man was it nice compared to my '07 Focus. Quiet, almost no road noise, the Fusion glided over potholes and road seams that jar me in my stiff-suspension '07 Focus that has all kinds of little rattles and road noise :(

Now, I want one of these:

2011-ford-focus-sedan-and-hatchback_100303352_m.jpg

5c7564ec7613c9f538a0d3c1c2a0c099x.jpg

2014 Ford Focus Titanium w/18" wheels. Leather, the works.

If I wasn't going to England later this year, I think I'd be doing a trade-in :facepalm:

BTW, the Ford web-site says the tires that come on those 18" rims are summer tires. Does that mean I'd have to get a set of tires for driving in the snow too?

The new Fusions are giving the class a good run for the comparative money.
The Focus Ti shares much of the same goodies as my Escape Ti. :thu:

Last edited:
I'm on the hunt too. For some unknown reason, I want a big truck.
My wife keeps asking me why and I don't have an answer at all. I just want one.

And yes, you should either swap the tires to All Season or get yourself a set of snow tires mounted on some steely rims.
That'll save the alloy rims from road salt.
I have snows on steel rims for both of our cars.

I am currently shopping. I want a high mileage FWD euro type sportwagen or similar. A VW TDI would be great, but expensive. Very intrigued by the Fords and the hatchback versions, though wish they made a true sportwagen with more leg room like the VW. Pretty darned impressed with the Fords though.

I want rear passenger, and cargo room, without having to go into a small sport-ute. I would rather have better mileage with a FWD, and more passenger car like feel rather than a mini-ute feel.

This is what I wish was here in the US. http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/06/ford-debuts-familiar-all-new-mondeo-shows-wagon-version-w-poll/

2013-ford-mondeo-wagon-628.jpg

As I complained to Rev1 about yesterday, how come the US market does not support sportwagens like this, and instead everything has to be a danged sport-ute with the compromised handling, AWD maintenance and hassles required, rather than available by choice, and etc. The free market is failing me in this country in this regard. Americans are stoopid about their cars. The euros, who have to deal with high fuel prices, and get it about efficiency (and style) have it figured out better.

And because only Audi, VW, and Mercedes (and I guess you can count Subaru, though Sub seating does not work for me and is therefore out), and I near forced into buying German. I would get the Alfa Sportwagen if they shipped it here too.

But more seriously, that Ford looks bitchin' and I would love to get something like that. The hatchback is pretty good, but leg room is a problem for this parent of teens.

Last edited:
I saw a Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-spec today that I REALLY liked while waiting for my Suburban to be fixed. Sadly no room for an amp and I've already ordered a Santa Fe.

Here is a list of sport wagons available in the US and ratings.

http://www.edmunds.com/wagon/2013/buying-guide.html

Based on what I see, seems like a VW fits the bill as well as any. Ford "cudda bin a contenda!" but, not available. Audi is too pricey and AWD, and I want higher mileage and FWD. Caddy is too expensive, don't like the asian ones available, and not excited by a Volvo. I would rather go with the VW if I was going to go Volvo. Kinda wanted to get a Ford though. A new Ford with incentives, financing and warranties, etc. would have been priced near what i could get a good used VW for.

sorry to kind of hi-jack your thread, but you brought up those Fords and I had just been looking.

@reverend1 , @OGG , get in here. I am interested in your opinions.

Also, as stated on the Ford social site:

"Leo C: Americans will continue to shun the wagon as long as there's no marketing for the masses. And wagon lovers will always, well, love them. As long as the masses are instructed to only like SUVs and Crossovers ("smaller SUVs"), by the industry, that's what'll sell. Wagons offer such a superior alternative, for most people, BUT.... Maybe when gas hits $7 / gallon...who knows... Yes, I'm bitter...."

The free market in the US is failing (to offer alternatives to those who have a brain and can see the sense in a high mileage, high utility vehicle). I suppose the only thing to correct it is when gas hits what it sells for in Europe. Grr. Nothing like being way late and reactive, rather than proactive.

Ok, I suppose that's it. I will have to give my business to VW instead.

Oh, and here is the data from the autoblog (see link above) poll about whether US customers would want one stateside. Come on Ford, what are you waiting for!?

"Would you like to see Ford sell a Fusion Wagon in the U.S.?
Heck yeah, man! I've got all this stuff to carry.6185 (64.9%)
No. I'm an American and less than 10% of me cares for a station wagon.1333 (14.0%)
I want the wagon – but I'd rather Ford offered me an AWD diesel Fusion, first!2016 (21.1%)"

And look at this:

I have GAS for this now.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a sport wagon than an SUV/van, too. I've never really cared for SUV's

I'd rather have a sport wagon than an SUV/van, too. I've never really cared for SUV's
Cool. Sorry about the hijack again. Yeah, sport wagons drive better, are more efficient from a fuel perspective and hold as much or more in some cases. I just don't get why they aren't offered here. That fusion you got to drive would be an awesome platform for a wagon and that is essentially what is currently offered in Europe.

Yep, a well designed sport wagon is pretty attractive but the one's I like are a little pricey. I can only guess that their sales have never been all that strong in the US. SUV's are usually just tall station wagons (except the big ones built on pickup truck frames).

In busy cities where you spend time in traffic, sitting up a little higher is addictive and returning to a lower seat really sucks. While I love sporty cars and low roadsters, I can no longer imagine owning one unless I was out in the country with some twisty roads. They are pretty much a waste on straight roads and freeways.

We went with the small SUV Escape after test driving several cars and SUV's, including a few Subaru's. I initially intended going with a Focus 5-door, Mazda 3, or Subaru Outback, but we needed more room without losing gas mileage. It is rated 23/32 with the big turbo engine (regular gas was a must) and we get 19 in town and 30-31 highway unless I'm hauling ass, and when you hit the gas this litl' fooker launches.

Yep, a well designed sport wagon is pretty attractive but the one's I like are a little pricey. I can only guess that their sales have never been all that strong in the US. SUV's are usually just tall station wagons (except the big ones built on pickup truck frames).

In busy cities where you spend time in traffic, sitting up a little higher is addictive and returning to a lower seat really sucks. While I love sporty cars and low roadsters, I can no longer imagine owning one unless I was out in the country with some twisty roads. They are pretty much a waste on straight roads and freeways.

We went with the small SUV Escape after test driving several cars and SUV's, including a few Subaru's. I initially intended going with a Focus 5-door, Mazda 3, or Subaru Outback, but we needed more room without losing gas mileage. It is rated 23/32 with the big turbo engine (regular gas was a must) and we get 19 in town and 30-31 highway unless I'm hauling ass, and when you hit the gas this litl' fooker launches.

Yeah, I guess the Escape provides the closest thing Ford offers. But I disagree with your second paragraph, though apparently much of the US must agree with you. To me, lower center of gravity and better fuel economy is better than sitting higher. And cars with higher COG and AWD are not always better on slick roads. Just look for all the 4runners and pathfinders that end up rolled off the side because people drive as though AWD is magic in the snow and slick, as compared to FWD VW's and the like trucking right up to the ski area. :wink: Granted that has some to do with driving style, but sitting higher with AWD does not necessarily mean a better driving car.

BTW, the Ford web-site says the tires that come on those 18" rims are summer tires. Does that mean I'd have to get a set of tires for driving in the snow too?

Your best bet would be to get some inexpensive rims and put winter (or mud+snow rated) tires on it. I would go smaller rim with a taller sidewall (overall size the same) to absorb winter potholes. You may have to check if you could go as small as 16" because of the brake size... you may have to go 17".

Your best bet would be to get some inexpensive rims and put winter (or mud+snow rated) tires on it. I would go smaller rim with a taller sidewall (overall size the same) to absorb winter potholes. You may have to check if you could go as small as 16" because of the brake size... you may have to go 17".
That is what many around here do. You see lots of Volvos, VW's etc. with steel rims with Nokian studs.

Yeah, I guess the Escape provides the closest thing Ford offers. But I disagree with your second paragraph, though apparently much of the US must agree with you. To me, lower center of gravity and better fuel economy is better than sitting higher. And cars with higher COG and AWD are not always better on slick roads. Just look for all the 4runners and pathfinders that end up rolled off the side because people drive as though AWD is magic in the snow and slick, as compared to FWD VW's and the like trucking right up to the ski area. :wink: Granted that has some to do with driving style, but sitting higher with AWD does not necessarily mean a better driving car.

In your part of the world that makes plenty of sense. No need for AWD here.
I see SUV's as either truck based, which means a high COG, heavy, and gas guzzling,
or car based, which is much lower but not sport low and fairly efficient.

My daughter and her husband have a Ford Fusion, and I drove it last week while I was visiting them in Missouri. It's a great ride, and it made me wonder about trading in a vehicle. At the moment, though, I really like not having a car payment.

We used to have a Suzuki Esteem wagon. While it was far from a sport wagon, It hauled as much or more than our Explorer, and got over 30 mpg. I miss that car almost as much as I miss the Explorer.

We used to have a Suzuki Esteem wagon. While it was far from a sport wagon, It hauled as much or more than our Explorer, and got over 30 mpg. I miss that car almost as much as I miss the Explorer.
Except for what I presume the seating to be like, something like that would be a candidate. Similar to the older, lighter Subaru Legacy wagons, even though those were typically AWD. But again, that style of asian seating does not work for me.

I don't remember the seats being uncomfortable, but I don't know that we ever did a long road trip either.

We gave it to Mrs. P'S brother so he could move from our spare bedroom to Oklahoma.

So, that may be why I have such fond memories of that car. It took him 1000 miles away from our spare bedroom.

It wasn't a fancy car. No power windows or locks. It was a 5 speed manual with a 1.6 liter engine that put out maybe 100 horses. It was, however, very reliable, easy on gas, and super for hauling dogs and musical equipment.

We also had an old Legacy Outback wagon. It was a POS when we bought it, and didn't endear itself to me at all in the 6 months we owned it.

Back