WTF: Bizarre gig enquiry

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
Someone based in LA (I checked the phone number, e-mail address, IP and contact details to confirm it was legit)

The wedding is for her dad next Saturday (nothing like leaving shit to the last minute) and is close to 300 miles away!!! In fact it would be the furthest North I've ever been in the country ever.

She's come through the one place where I actively advertise and have great feedback so she's obviously done a bit of digging and research but still.

Not that I think she'll go for it if she does it'll be the biggest payer I've ever had :thu:

Charge large and get at least a 50% deposit.

Oh the fee is hefty, I'd actually rather not have the hassle of doing it but I do have my price :embarrassed: and at this point it's payment in full.

I initially thought it was someone being a dick because I got into an argument with another DJ (one of those arseholes that spends more time and energy worrying about what everyone else is up to as opposed to looking after his own shit) on Facebook last night because he thought I was BSing about getting paid in full 28 days in advance of any gig but it all seems legit - comes from a company e-mail linked to the girl's social media and stuff too.

Interesting - she just replied pointing out I'd mentioned the wrong date (this Saturday's, surprise wedding melting my brain!!!) and was I available for the 9th of August which is a lot more promising than "are you mental, I'm not paying that for a DJ" :grin: :embarrassed:

Damn I was going to go to bed but might need to ride this one out for a bit.

Holy fuck I've just been on the venue's website.

Their SILVER package is £90 a skull!!!

I got a call from my brother this morning - she's hit up him and I'd assume every other notable DJ on this site which means this is probably going to go to the lowest bidder which shant be me. :embarrassed:

WTF she just e-mailed me back saying that all sounds good and as I'd have such a long journey I'd be accomodated in the castle (it's £250 a night for their cheapest room!!!!!) and would that affect the price.

I knocked £100 off it and thus the ball is back in her court :embarrassed:

Congrats!

It's not a done deal yet, she asked how she could pay the deposit by credit card and I told her as it's less than 28 days before the gig I expect payment in full so we'll see if that puts here off.

It turns out the place is only 15 miles South of the John O Groats aka the most northern point in Scotland so it would be quite nice to take a run up there after my 5 star breakfast on the Sunday morning :grin:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So I started getting that "this is too good to be true" vibe. She e-mailed me with the details all ready to start dealing with contracts and cash.

At this point I had her cell number so I googled it and the first hit was for a site that lists numbers linked to false identities :eek:

I then had a look on the site of the business she works for and could find nothing, googled her biz e-mail and found nothing, tried to contact the venue and couldn't get through to anyone that would confirm or deny this wedding is taking place.

I then decided it was probably a scam so I sent her company an e-mail asking if this person worked there as I thought I was being scammed by someone using one of their e-mail addresses.

I got a very nice e-mail back from a secretary telling me that this person does indeed work there.

2 minutes later I got a very indignant e-mail from the client in question (cc'd to her father aka the groom, who also has something to do with this company) telling me that YES SHE DOES ACTUALLY EXIST.

I think I've done some damage limitation - I had e-mailed her to apologise for doing a bit of digging just before I got that e-mail.

Anyways as it stands the gig looks like it's on and no doubt I'll be found washed up on some shitty Norwegian beach a few weeks from now :embarrassed:

UPDATE:

I now have no clue whether it's a scam or not :shrug:

SOoooooooooooooooooooooooo we get things back on track.

I send out the contract to her directly via Echosign

She asks if I can send it to her dad instead so he can have a look over it (he's a lawyer y know) :shrug:

I tell her that since she's the client, she needs to be the one to sign it and as it's been sent through Echosign, she'd need to be the one to send it on to him.

She then decides she'd rather him be the client, could I put the contract in his name?

I do this and forward it to HIM

He gets back and asks if I can send it to her :facepalm:

I point out that as a lawyer he'll be aware that he needs to sign it or else it's not a legally binding contract.

He then signs within a few minutes (certainly not what I'd expect a lawyer to do - there's 2 a4 pages of type 8 t's and c's on my contract....

I then get a call from this woman from the number I have for her, she's clearly not Nigerian.

Just now I'm about 50 / 50, there's a lot about it that I'm really uneasy about and the first thing I'll be doing tomorrow is phoning the venue to confirm the booking is legit but on the other hand, if it is a scam they've gone to a lot of trouble:

I got a guy from FB to phone the land line of their company and he confirmed it was seemingly legit. As well as that: setting up a massive internet presence for this company that she supposedly works for that I can trace to a bunch of other seemingly legit businesses, people and conferences from places all over the web - are they really going to go to THAT much trouble to do the old "oops I've sent you too much money, can you send me the difference back?" scam?

The thing is less than 2 weeks away, I flat out refused PayPal and said I want the cash (full balance, 4 figures) right into my bank account.

Is there any way that she can make that payment into my bank then fuck me over?

Thanks to the mighty power of the internet I've uncovered some more info:

Can't find next to nothing about the dude / groom who has a very common name BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT the bride (who has a very uncommon name) has flagged up and apparently she's some sort of crypto-fascist school principal teacher who got there by the grace of her Machivelian scheming, NOT her talent and ability :embarrassed:

It also turns out that the local authority I work for has made ratemyteachers.com take down all of their listings so I can't see what the little shits are saying about me any more :grin:

With this weekend's surprise wedding and next weekends THIS whatever the fuck it might be, I'm starting to worry some dick from MTV with a camera crew is going to jump out from behind my couch any moment now :embarrassed:

Back