WTF: Bizarre gig enquiry

So I phoned the venue and this shit is real.

She did mention they've not paid the final balance - not a problem as I'm signing nothing until every penny is in my bank account :embarrassed:

"Hi Jim, what's your PayPal details so we can send your money?"

I can't accept PayPal as payment

"But it says you do in the contract, that would be easier for us"

The contract relates to most bookings which as it turns out aren't for 4 figures for a venue 300 miles away and made the week before a wedding by someone halfway across the planet that I don't know actually exists or not :embarrassed:

Full fee and not a penny more now sitting in my account via bank transfer.

Not that I'm skeptical but I double checked with my bank and they said once the dough has gone into my account, it's mine and nothing can be done about it :embarrassed:

Big day is Saturday, got a local gig on Friday until Midnight and i'll probably be aiming to hit the road for 6am at the latest so yeah, shitty last weekend before the school's start back but the fee more than makes up for that inconvenience :)

Wasn't there a scam a while back, where someone would book something in advance for a wedding. They'd then cancel it in a way where you'd refund the check they sent, but then they'd also stop the check they sent, so you were out the refund?

This doesn't sound it, and since the venue said it's real, you're good.

Wasn't there a scam a while back, where someone would book something in advance for a wedding. They'd then cancel it in a way where you'd refund the check they sent, but then they'd also stop the check they sent, so you were out the refund?

This doesn't sound it, and since the venue said it's real, you're good.

I dunno, I googled everything I could think of relating to DJ and wedding scam and all it could come up with was the old "ooops I've sent you the money for the photographer too, can you please send back the difference" type scams.

I was adamant this was going directly into my bank via wire to avoid dealing with cheques, PayPal etc...

Anyhoo even better - I got a call from the hotel yesterday to tell me that they'd paid the remainder of the balance with them and sorted out my room ;D :embarrassed:

Coincidentally I've just had an e-mail from someone who is getting married a few miles down the road next year so I might even be able to tie this in with a client meeting which would put me in good stead for another high paying booking :)

in time - left the house at 4am yesterday, got up at 8 for breakfast at the venue then hit the road for the 300 mile drive home in horrendous rain thanks to hurricane Bertha's aftermath - quite amazing that something happening 1,000s of miles away impact our environment.

Anyhoo, beer, curry, sex (not with the ridiculous hot chick who was hitting on me at the gig :grin: :cry: ) and I'll report back. In fact I'm back to work tomorrow after the Summer holidays and got a few potential client meetings tomorrow night (it sucks being fairly good at this DJ business :embarrassed: ) so you'll need to wait a day or 2 for feedback.

Nothing crazy but a cool gig nonetheless :thu:

Did I mention they fed me fillet mignon?

Not that I go near it but most folk here begrudge DJs going near the buffet table :grin: :embarrassed:

Back