Annnnnd, need one for the basement, too (Marshall content)

CBHScott

How did I get here?
Now that I'm on a low-watt tube amp kick (I guess my hearing has been restored, even if I never realized that it was diminished :shrug: :wink: ), and have the Vox AC4C1-12 for upstairs, I need something to replace the Peavey Classic 30 I kept in the basement for some more raucous playing.

I had over the last several months tried a shitload of amps, including a few of the newer Marshall DSLs.

The 40 is pretty sweet and has a lot of versatility, but still is pretty large and more power than I would need (although if one comes along cheep...).

The 15 is IMO a HUGE disappointment - just doesn't sound good. I know that it is the 6V6 version, so I don't know if it really makes a difference, but compared to the 40 sounds really stiff and somewhat shrill.

What has floored me, however, and is perfectly suited for my situation, is this:

750-DSL5C_detail3.jpg

The little DSL5C 5-watter.

For the record, I hated the LE 1-watters - thought they sounded like crap, but when on one of my many GC visits the other day, I looked at the DSL5C and thought "WTH?" and plugged a Tele into it, and WOW - was blown away, not only by the clean tones, but the gain channel as well - the Tele sounded sweet, yet ballsy through this thing. And you would think that with a 10" speaker that this would sound boxy, but it really has quite a bit of depth in the low-end - even without the Depth switched engaged :tongue:. Also can kick it down to 1-watt, and has an effects loop. Don't know if I'll spend the full retail on one, but will definitely get one used when it pops up :thu:

It looks fantastic, but the price tag is eek2

Well, it's the same price as a new Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5 combo, but 10 times better, plus you have to know how to get the discount :wink:.

All I can say is: WOW :eek: - this thing is perhaps the PERFECT home amp if you want THAT Marshall sound in a small package. My LP REALLY loves this thing.

Well, it's the same price as a new Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5 combo, but 10 times better, plus you have to know how to get the discount :wink:.

All I can say is: WOW :eek: - this thing is perhaps the PERFECT home amp if you want THAT Marshall sound in a small package. My LP REALLY loves this thing.
Les pauls and Marshalls always work well.

Congrats on the new amp. I have heard only good things about that and the Slash model. I also agree with your assessment on the DSL15. I had one and returned it very quickly.

Well, the DSL5c has supplanted the AC4C1-12 upstairs, as the AC4 will be sent back due to crapping out :(. Good news is that I like the Marshall more, anyway :embarrassed:. May even get me another to mod...

Back