An Etiquette Question

el diablo

I'll take an A for $1000, Alex.
So i have an absent neighbor who allows his fallow to visit his property which is next to mine on long weekends.
This then entertains me with a Boeing 747 DB loud screeching girl in the pool, in conjunction with a non stop barking dog, and then the "adults" arguing.

So..should I go over there and ask them to please be quieter, or just break out the NWA and hit'em'wit'it??

Ahh, fukkin criste..forever labelled as "he couldn't spell etiquitte" on the intraweb thing. thwap0

So..should I go over there and ask them to please be quieter, or just break out the NWA and hit'em'wit'it??

Both are acceptable options.

Police are unnecessary ; it's just one weekend, and a long weekend at that. They probably have more serious issues.

But I would complain to your neighbours when they return, if it bothered me.

Both are acceptable options.

Police are unnecessary ; it's just one weekend, and a long weekend at that.

But I would complain to your neighbours when they return, if it bothered me.

according to the OP.....it not just one weekend, it's long weekends......so multiple events....ongoing problem.

according to the OP.....it not just one weekend, it's long weekends......so multiple events....ongoing problem.

Fair enough, but this doesn't strike me as a situation where going from zero to police intervention is an optimal response.

Fair enough, but this doesn't strike me as a situation where going from zero to police intervention is an optimal response.

actually calling the police is exactly the right response....because it creates a police report....and if the behavior continues, you have a documented paper trail that allows a legal solution. judges do not look favorably on folks with multiple police reports against them.

and besides, from the OP, it sound like this is HARDLY a situation that is starting at zero.

For simple everyday problems like this, I really think that if you should talk to your neighbors, like an adult, before you call the police or get into a battle of one-ups-manship. They may not have any idea how loud they actually are. If they can't be reasoned with, move on to plan B. FWIW, the police are useful for resolving a specific situation (like a raging late night party, domestic dispute, etc) but not for instructing your neighbors in every day courtesy/respecting their neighbors.

actually calling the police is exactly the right response....because it creates a police report....and if the behavior continues, you have a documented paper trail that allows a legal solution. judges do not look favorably on folks with multiple police reports against them.

and besides, from the OP, it sound like this is HARDLY a situation that is starting at zero.

Not necessarily....it depends on the department policies on what constitutes a reportable incident versus something like a record of contact, which may not have any real detail. Disturbing the peace isn't a criminal offense in most jurisdictions so I'm not sure how a judge factors into the equation.

Back