An Etiquette Question

The simple question "Have you _no_ fucking manners?" is guaranteed to resolve most such situations.

After 10 PM, call the cops. Otherwise, politely ask them to keep the noise down a little. Pools get loud and I get that to a reasonable limit as long as it is while the rest of the world is awake.

Two doors down is The Party House. The people who used to live there built a serious entertainment backyard and pool, about $60K to $70K worth. The dad was later in a major car accident and was wheelchair bound for a year until he drove it into the pool to commit suicide. Ruled an accident, so the insurance money came in and the parties really got going since both boys were in high school. No less than 20 cars parked on the street. The mom/widow must have mourned for about 30 seconds. :(

They sold the house and a new party family took over. They and their guests like to get drunk and scream at 3 in the morning, especially weeknights. When they were loud enough to wake us up two doors down through double paned windows, blackout curtains, and two fans running, it was time to call the cops. The first time, they somehow got word and had everyone inside in time so the cops moved on. The second time, the cops caught the party at full exposure. They even rounded up a few teens hiding in our front yard. Several tickets were issued and the excessive partying finally slowed.

Last edited:
For simple everyday problems like this, I really think that if you should talk to your neighbors, like an adult, before you call the police or get into a battle of one-ups-manship. They may not have any idea how loud they actually are. If they can't be reasoned with, move on to plan B. FWIW, the police are useful for resolving a specific situation (like a raging late night party, domestic dispute, etc) but not for instructing your neighbors in every day courtesy/respecting their neighbors.

Not necessarily....it depends on the department policies on what constitutes a reportable incident versus something like a record of contact, which may not have any real detail. Disturbing the peace isn't a criminal offense in most jurisdictions so I'm not sure how a judge factors into the equation.

i beg to differ....most cities have noise ordinances and violating them IS a crime, especially when an officer comes out and TELLS them to quiet down.....and then when the cop leaves they crank it back up.....that's called refusing to obey a lawful order and will get you arrested.

the judge comes in when the asshat neighbors keep doing it and you accumulate enough police reports and SUE them and hand the judge all the police reports.
this may not be a situation that requires that level of response, but i've had a couple that have. one time the judge ordered them to move out of the apartment, legally terminating their lease.

I might just leave them a note from ISIS.

"HEY! Infidel! Too loud! We are annoyed!!"

Hopefully they are GOP and it will scare the shit out of them.

Reactions: Tig
I might just leave them a note from ISIS.

"HEY! Infidel! Too loud! We are annoyed!!"

Hopefully they are GOP and it will scare the shit out of them.

make sure you leave a REALLY GOOD fake of a decapitated head......message should be received.

Back