Help! Amp recommendation?

rpr9rqugkuofurfjczmb.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/6307112-reverend-hellhound-40-60-black

I almost snagged one of those until I stumbled on the Mesa.

Looks cool, but the reverb tank doesn't work, and I'm trying to simplify my life; not purchase problems to solve.

I wasn't looking at that exact one. At the time I was looking there were 3 functional ones on Reverb. The one I almost pulled the trigger on was white with a tan grill cloth.

@Cheese Grits what about the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister series?

I'm not sure you'd get that 'Fender sound' out of the clean channel, but they have all the other things you want in the power scaling and reverb (at least for the higher watt models.

A brand new Tubemeister 36 head is $799 (they used to be $949, until the newer 40w model came along) and you could probably pick up a clean used 36 head for $600 or so

EL84 based amp

(playing starts roughly 1:48 or so)

@Cheese Grits what about the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister series?

I'm not sure you'd get that 'Fender sound' out of the clean channel, but they have all the other things you want in the power scaling and reverb (at least for the higher watt models.

A brand new Tubemeister 36 head is $799 (they used to be $949, until the newer 40w model came along) and you could probably pick up a clean used 36 head for $600 or so

EL84 based amp

(playing starts roughly 1:48 or so)

I saw a guy playing through one of these earlier this month. He had the 18w version with a 1x10 cab and was miced. Sounded KILLER.

I wouldn't do it. You'll be stuck if it has problems.
I got the before and after gut shots, and then the guy dropped the asking price to $700 without my even making an offer. Not sure how to save pictures from Reverb on my phone, but I'll post them here when I get a chance to log in via a Grandpa Box.

Edit (added before and after photos):

f6b541cd108f1f3533d167a17f470108.jpg

2726cac441b95384c3f5984cd8fd4c1d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
If the guys says that the Allen is not making lots of noise, I'm inclined to make an offer, but I wonder if I would be able to call Dave and see if he remembers this job? Hmm.

I got the before and after gut shots, and then the guy dropped the asking price to $700 without my even making an offer. Not sure how to save pictures from Reverb on my phone, but I'll post them here when I get a chance to log in via a Grandpa Box.

Edit (added before and after photos):

f6b541cd108f1f3533d167a17f470108.jpg

2726cac441b95384c3f5984cd8fd4c1d.jpg

If the guys says that the Allen is not making lots of noise, I'm inclined to make an offer, but I wonder if I would be able to call Dave and see if he remembers this job? Hmm.

Wow, the difference in the wiring is stark. I would definitely email David and ask him if he remembers the job. That's a great idea.

Traynor YCS50

I guess you'll have to buy one used. They have discontinued it. I paid $800 new a decade ago.

Best Fender/Marshall combo I've heard. Switches the tone stack when channel switching between to model both.
switchable wattage 50W class AB/15 W class A
spring reverb
Look here for other features:
http://traynoramps.com/legacy/discontinued/product/ycs50/

I've pretty much ditched all pedals since I bought this amp.

Wow, the difference in the wiring is stark. I would definitely email David and ask him if he remembers the job. That's a great idea.

So, I did this and here's the response. I can't quite make heads or tails, other than he seems to be saying that he always does the best he can within reason, which is completely reasonable and to be expected. So, if I offer $500, I can't get hurt too bad, and I can probably still flip it for a similar price if it doesn't work out.

a51c501d44a714f3b4df07ab67646e9b.jpg

What do you think?

So, I did this and here's the response. I can't quite make heads or tails, other than he seems to be saying that he always does the best he can within reason, which is completely reasonable and to be expected. So, if I offer $500, I can't get hurt too bad, and I can probably still flip it for a similar price if it doesn't work out.

a51c501d44a714f3b4df07ab67646e9b.jpg

What do you think?

I think you should pass.

On a related note, my friend Brad, formerly of Mojo Hand/Tonefactor, is selling his Dr. Z Maz 18 NR 1x12 combo. I'm not sure of the price, but if you're into that kinda thing, I can connect you.

I think you should pass.

On a related note, my friend Brad, formerly of Mojo Hand/Tonefactor, is selling his Dr. Z Maz 18 NR 1x12 combo. I'm not sure of the price, but if you're into that kinda thing, I can connect you.

I appreciate the offer, but whatever I do, I think I want onboard spring reverb.

Back