GPOTD 2.16.17

0869b06c519f35f98fd93f6a45f169af.jpg

Uh...no. It looks like somebody tried to just see of they could make a guitar out of whatever leftover/scrap parts, and pieces of wood they had laying around - not like somebody is making a conscious effort to make something unique guitar wise.

Kerouac stopped posting prices and I've continued the practice. Price is just above headstock shape on things I care about.
Thats fine. We all look at things from different points of view. I think it would be interesting to repost a guitar that had been posted in the past with a wildly different price point and see if the reactions stay the same or not, but that's just me. Carry on.

I've noticed that a good portion of the forum is obsessed with the subjective value of instruments and anything over $500 seems to be a bridge too far, so to speak.
This price sensitivity, IMO, stifles discussion of the guitar and never acknowledges any objective value of the instrument.

I have tried hard to leave price out of my discussions after having been counselled on it a few times, but when something looks like a failing junior high school woodshop project, I feel price can reasonably come into the conversation. This guitar for $200? Might be fun for laughs. This guitar for $2000? No way.

I have tried hard to leave price out of my discussions after having been counselled on it a few times, but when something looks like a failing junior high school woodshop project, I feel price can reasonably come into the conversation. This guitar for $200? Might be fun for laughs. This guitar for $2000? No way.

This guitar isn't fun at any price. It's not worth the sum of its parts.

Most times you can actually find at least one good thing about a guitar. This however....
so much wrong with it I have no idea where to begin. :embarrassed:

I've noticed that a good portion of the forum is obsessed with the subjective value of instruments and anything over $500 seems to be a bridge too far, so to speak.
This price sensitivity, IMO, stifles discussion of the guitar and never acknowledges any objective value of the instrument.

^^^This^^^
They're just pics of guitars. A light diversion. Sometimes price is commented on, sometimes not. It gives us a chance to "ooo" and "ahhh" over some, meh at others, scratch our heads over some, and suppress vomiting over yet others like this one.

The issue I have with the pricing is that it prevents me from actually considering the instrument as something I'd want.
I get that the point of this is to comment on the instrument's features/aesthetics but the ridiculous pricing immediately makes me think I could buy better for $500. Especially when the Reverb price guide is considerably less than the asking price.

The issue I have with the pricing is that it prevents me from actually considering the instrument as something I'd want.
I get that the point of this is to comment on the instrument's features/aesthetics but the ridiculous pricing immediately makes me think I could buy better for $500. Especially when the Reverb price guide is considerably less than the asking price.

Just to use your post as a jumping off point, there's two different things there: 1. the subjective $ or the amount you would be willing to pay for that guitar/any guitar and 2. the objective $ or the price an instrument would be expected to fetch on the market. Imagine car forum with a car of the day thread; every time an exotic, classic or antique car comes up, what would be the point of a majority of comments pissing about the price & how they wouldn't pay more than a few grand for that Ferrari just because they have 2004 corolla budget? For whatever reason, we seem to frequently get hung up on the subjective price thing & ignore the objective price. Is what it is.

Last edited:
Just to use your post as a jumping off point, there's two different things there: 1. the subjective $ or the amount you would be willing to pay for that guitar/any guitar and 2. the objective $ or the price an instrument would be expected to fetch on the market. Imagine car forum with a car of the day thread; every time an exotic, classic or antique car comes up, what would be the point of a majority of comments pissing about the price & how they wouldn't pay more than a few grand for that Ferrari just because they have 2004 corolla budget? For whatever reason, we seem to frequently get hung up on the subjective price thing & ignore the objective price. Is what it is.

In this case it is a Yugo being advertised at the price point of an AC Cobra. I think that would draw the same criticism on a car forum. Consider the rules for participating in these threads duly noted. And flatly ignored.

Back