GPOTD 2.16.17

To me it looks like someone just drew random shapes w/out any thought at all:

"Well let's see, I need a body shape..."
*doodles random shape in 5 seconds*
"ok good enough.Now I need a headstock shape..."
*doodles another random shape an about 5 seconds*
"Fuck it, that's good enough"

In this case it is a Yugo being advertised at the price point of an AC Cobra. I think that would draw the same criticism on a car forum. Consider the rules for participating in these threads duly noted. And flatly ignored.
This is what I was thinking as well. (Minus the rule ignoring,lol)
I wouldn't comment on the pricing of say a '58 Les Paul asking for 5 figures but in most of the GPOTD lately we have instruments with an actual value far, far below the asking price.
I paid over $2K for my Les Paul so it's not a case of something being out of my budget but rather a case of someone trying to (imo) pull a fast one because something is old/rare.

For me, a lot of the fun of the GPOTD is that we can see/comment on oddball guitars that I would think most people wouldn't want to purchase. I would think it's that same "wtf is that!!" thought for the poster when they are scrolling through Reverb looking for the pic.
I know when it's my turn to post the GPOTD I'm going to post things that catch my eye for a variety of reasons without considering the pricing.

Last edited:
In this case it is a Yugo being advertised at the price point of an AC Cobra. I think that would draw the same criticism on a car forum. Consider the rules for participating in these threads duly noted. And flatly ignored.

I don't think anyone has said the price is reasonable & the criticism is due. Personally, I don't know what it would be worth considering its so unconventional/undesirable, rare and from a somewhat unknown builder...none of those things scream 2 grand to me.

rules? the only rules are the ones Mark sets.

I paid over $2K for my Les Paul so it's not a case of something being out of my budget but rather a case of someone trying to (imo) pull a fast one because something is old/rare.

Not to split hairs but that's still part of a subject value judgement; you're willing to pay 2 grand for an LP because you like them but you wouldn't pay 2 grand for a lot of other guitars because you don't like them as much or iow, see value in that purchase. For you, that fine but how much of a discussion point in a thread is that for anyone else?

Edit: again, I'm not saying that price shouldn't be discussed or there's some rule that has to be followed....just that the 'I wouldn't pay $500 for that" in all of these threads is kinda pointless. (and has nothing to do with this guitar)

Not to split hairs but that's still part of a subject value judgement; you're willing to pay 2 grand for an LP because you like them but you wouldn't pay 2 grand for a lot of other guitars because you don't like them as much or iow, see value in that purchase. For you, that fine but how much of a discussion point in a thread is that for anyone else?

Edit: again, I'm not saying that price shouldn't be discussed or there's some rule that has to be followed....just that the 'I wouldn't pay $500 for that" in all of these threads is kinda pointless. (and has nothing to do with this guitar)
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

On what? We probably don't really disagree but each see the subjective worth/value of a guitar more or less important to these threads.
Either way, I think this is a good discussion to have.

I feel that the value vs. asking price is a big factor in how I and I suspect many others judge how we feel about a guitar.
I'm willing to pay $2K for a guitar that has that type of value but not for something that I feel is overpriced without any merit in its pricing. This guitar in his thread is (imo) overpriced most likely based on the sellers idea that old and rare make it worth more. Whereas I think this guitar is probably rare because nobody wanted one and wasn't worth making them to the manufacturer.
I agree that there is a subjective nature to the value vs. objective value aspect. However, in my LP example, Gibson (or Fender or PRS etc.) have proven a substantial value in their product and based on their history of sales, the general guitar buying public sees that value.
Gibson' current pricing scheme is another story but that's for another thread!! Lol

But you're right. We are splitting hairs on something we probably mostly agree on.

Last edited:
I feel that the value vs. asking price is a big factor in how I and I suspect many others judge how we feel about a guitar.
I'm willing to pay $2K for a guitar that has that type of value but not for something that I feel is overpriced without any merit in its pricing. This guitar in his thread is (imo) overpriced most likely based on the sellers idea that old and rare make it worth more. Whereas I think this guitar is probably rare because nobody wanted one and wasn't worth making them to the manufacturer.
I agree that there is a subjective nature to the value vs. objective value aspect. However, in my LP example, Gibson (or Fender or PRS etc.) have proven a substantial value in their product and based on their history of sales, the general guitar buying public sees that value.
Gibson' current pricing scheme is another story but that's for another thread!! Lol

The guitar in this thread is irrelevant. It is an example of an undesirable guitar at what's most likely an unrealistic price & not and typical of the point I'm trying to make.

This is what I was thinking as well. (Minus the rule ignoring,lol)
I wouldn't comment on the pricing of say a '58 Les Paul asking for 5 figures but in most of the GPOTD lately we have instruments with an actual value far, far below the asking price.

For me, a lot of the fun of the GPOTD is that we can see/comment on oddball guitars that I would think most people wouldn't want to purchase. I would think it's that same "wtf is that!!" thought for the poster when they are scrolling through Reverb looking for the pic.
I know when it's my turn to post the GPOTD I'm going to post things that catch my eye for a variety of reasons without considering the pricing.

Exactly. There are guitars that are worth $2-3K, and there are guitars that are priced at $2-3K that are worth $400 tops. I think there is a segment of the market that thinks that if the price tag says $3500 it is a superior guitar, which clearly isn't always the case. Looking forward to your contributions!

I get your point, but is my mentioning that the seller is pricing a guitar based on merely his own subjective opinion any less valid than HIAR dismissing anything with a middle pickup? The used guitar market is out of control and not based upon anything rational like the Kelly Blue Book is for used cars. So if a seller has a price point that seems unreasonable based upon the components, construction or the demonstrable desirability based on a solid resale history it deserves to be called out.

I get your point, but is my mentioning that the seller is pricing a guitar based on merely his own subjective opinion any less valid than HIAR dismissing anything with a middle pickup? The used guitar market is out of control and not based upon anything rational like the Kelly Blue Book is for used cars. So if a seller has a price point that seems unreasonable based upon the components, construction or the demonstrable desirability based on a solid resale history it deserves to be called out.

It's tomorrow. You can stop arguing about this one. :tongue:

I get your point, but is my mentioning that the seller is pricing a guitar based on merely his own subjective opinion any less valid than HIAR dismissing anything with a middle pickup? The used guitar market is out of control and not based upon anything rational like the Kelly Blue Book is for used cars.

The middle pickup failboat is basically a meme at this point.
The used guitar market is more unpredictable than something like the used car market but it's still pretty easy to determine a reasonable value for anything somewhat common or has a history of past sales.

So if a seller has a price point that seems unreasonable based upon the components, construction or the demonstrable desirability based on a solid resale history it deserves to be called out.

This has never been questioned so I'm not sure why it keeps coming up.

I've noticed that a good portion of the forum is obsessed with the subjective value of instruments and anything over $500 seems to be a bridge too far, so to speak.
This price sensitivity, IMO, stifles discussion of the guitar and never acknowledges any objective value of the instrument.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. There are guitars that are worth $2-3K, and there are guitars that are priced at $2-3K that are worth $400 tops. I think there is a segment of the market that thinks that if the price tag says $3500 it is a superior guitar, which clearly isn't always the case. Looking forward to your contributions!
I've got a few in the queue.

Sure seems like you are downplaying the validity of discussing the relative value of a guitar and suggesting it inhibits discussion. Lets move on.

Not at all and i'm not sure how many times I can reiterate that.

Back