GPOTD 11.20.14

What's hilarious about this is that it implies a sort of quality control on aesthetics, but just about every Norlin-era 'burst I've seen clearly shows the seams for the different pieces of the top, and not in an attractive way.

Don't forget about the side finish showing when they went to sandwich construction on the body...even the solid color ones. The seams bled or sucked on a huge amount of the Norlin stuff. The seams in the neck are what's showing in the headstock pic. Norlin and CBS gave not shit one about quality control.

What's hilarious about this is that it implies a sort of quality control on aesthetics, but just about every Norlin-era 'burst I've seen clearly shows the seams for the different pieces of the top, and not in an attractive way.

Right, so imagine how shitty of a top THIS one must have!

May be less a QC thing and more a stamp they would put if the guitar was supposed to be dressed as a Black Beauty.

Could have been a batch at that time of year got the stamp whether or not they had decent tops.
Not sure if the fretboard went on before or after the stamp.

I like this one even though the gold fail is prominent.
This too. It has kind of a reverse tux vibe (white on black instead of black on white). And, it has a bit of that 1977 parchment white tux thing going too. Must be played with a frilly shirt. Ok, not really. But somehow my mind just went there.

I really dislike the one in the OP. But I'll refrain from final judgment until I read Howie's opinion. @Help!I'maRock!

meh...I'm not a big Les Paul fan (for me, others make some of the most beautiful music with them). I prefer juniors and specials (or better yet, Hamer's take on them). As far as customs go, I like them black and lightweight...an original Black Beauty is something I'd love. Like one n'ere:

Les%20PaulB4VEBGH-2.jpg

Youch...blurry, but I even like this one with the Bigsby and ceiling lamp graphic:

gibson-1954-les-paul-custom-black-beauty-bigsby-vos-vos-ebony-506990.jpg

The blurry one's suposed an original '54, while the mangled one (due to the horrid metal contraption) is a modern VOS.

But those are sexy.

Back