Question: "Middle Pickup Failboat"

Scott_Abene

Resident Noodge
I have seen a few post negative comments about middle pickups.

Why is this exactly?

What makes a middle pickup ruin a guitar in your opinion?

@Help!I'maRock!

It doesn't, unless you're Howie.

The biggest argument I've seen is that the middle pickup gets in the way of picking. As Howie would say, that's a technique problem, not a guitar problem.

Otherwise, I know Howie is alergic to the 2 and 4 position on a Strat, so he is biased against middle pickups.

But then again, all pickups are beautiful.

@Help!I'maRock!

It doesn't, unless you're Howie.

The biggest argument I've seen is that the middle pickup gets in the way of picking.

But then again, all pickups are beautiful.

I agree with this... i screw the middle pickup down closer to the pickguard on any guitar i have that has a middle pickup.

I really don't use it anyway.

My in-progress McFeely has an interesting solution to the middle pickup picking argument. :helper:

I have one on a lot of my guitars, It's really just there for show, I guess. Hardly use them, except for the occasional use of position 4 on one of the Ibbys.

When my picking hand is anchored at the bridge and doing controlled picking, it's not a problem..... when I start playing a lot of percussive rhythm with exaggerated arm movements, I have to be much more cognisant of any sharp fingerboard edges, non recessed pickguard screws, or pickups that stick up too far. I've whacked fingertips, knuckles and fingernails on all kinds of spots on the face of my guitars. :embarrassed:

I like the middle pickup on my Strats, so I really don't know why it gets bashed so consistently, either.

A middle pickup by itself is fine. In combination is awful, and I never want to hear that sound again. Therefore, a guitar with three pickups, to me, is a no-go. Therefore, middle pickup failboat.

People who have technique issues should address those.

On my Strat and my Jetstream the middle pickup is my favourite. It certainly doesn't get in the way of my picking.

(not mine, but I've been there)

74720_10151152556493870_1140891583_n.jpg

One thing that has helped is on my strats I have the raised pole pieces for the bridge and neck, but the middle pickup I've switched to flat poles. That has helped more than anything.

I'm with Howie on the quack positions. I just don't dig that sound, and when I played Strats, I never used those settings. I also thought it got in the way, because I have bad technique. :) Further, I just don't think there's a magic sound for the center pickup that can't be improved or approximated by running the bridge and neck together. :shrug: This actually leads to a fourth complaint [with most stock 3-pickup guitars], in that I would have to re-wire to add the option of neck and bridge only.

....be improved or approximated by running the bridge and neck together. :shrug:

That's probably my favorite pickup position on any guitar. I could almost leave it in "both" mode all the time and have a volume knob for each pickup. I always make sure there is a way to either select that sound on a 5 way super switch, or use a push pull to engage that sound.

I'm with Howie on the quack positions. I just don't dig that sound, and when I played Strats, I never used those settings. I also thought it got in the way, because I have bad technique. :) Finally, I just don't think there's a magic sound for the center pickup that can't be improved or approximated by running the bridge and neck together. :shrug:

I actually like a middle pickup on its own. Hence my love of the Danelectro Convertible and Fender Precision. It's the combinations that are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Some folks just have hands perfectly sized to where they anchor it as they wish on the bridge, play as they feel comfortable and smack their pick on a normally placed strat middle pickup. So they would rather avoid guitars with one. I don't see an actual "technique problem" that needs to be adressed when different players are to play their own way and develop their own voice.

A middle pickup by itself is fine. In combination is awful, and I never want to hear that sound again. Therefore, a guitar with three pickups, to me, is a no-go. Therefore, middle pickup failboat.

I can relate to that. I'm not a fan of the 2 & 4 positions, but I do like playing through the middle pickup alone. Having said that, and though it's very rare for me to be in the 2 or 4 positions, I do go there on occasion to emulate a tone that I hear.

People who have technique issues should address those.

I mostly agree. If it's in the way, adjust your technique. Middle pickup by itself is fine, and I almost NEVER use pos. 2 & 4 -- it's just not for me. There are a few players where I LOVE when they do it, I just personally don't.

I modded my strat with a 3 way rotary switch for the middle and neck. I run the bridge and any combination with a LP toggle. I find I almost NEVER pick a combo with the middle pup.

Back