Question: "Middle Pickup Failboat"

That's probably my favorite pickup position on any guitar. I could almost leave it in "both" mode all the time and have a volume knob for each pickup. I always make sure there is a way to either select that sound on a 5 way super switch, or use a push pull to engage that sound.
Yep, me too. :thu:

fwiw, I have no issues with the "quack"; in fact, I rather like it.
it's just not something that is needed much in most of what I do.

I'm with Howie on the quack positions. I just don't dig that sound, and when I played Strats, I never used those settings. I also thought it got in the way, because I have bad technique. :) Further, I just don't think there's a magic sound for the center pickup that can't be improved or approximated by running the bridge and neck together. :shrug: This actually leads to a fourth complaint [with most stock 3-pickup guitars], in that I would have to re-wire to add the option of neck and bridge only.
There are stock guitars that come with that option. This one comes to mind.

east.jpg

Last edited:
I tend to really like the middle pickup sounds in strat, hb or p90 form.

I find the trick is, use a HOT middle pickup then you can drop it further from the strings to get it out of the way.

I don't consider them failures, I just don't use them except in a traditional strat setup. I'd rather have 2 HBs or a HB in the bridge and a single in the neck. Although, TBH, these days I'd generally rather just have a HB or P90 in the neck position and nothing else.

I am not sure how the middle pickup gets in the way? How do you guys hold your picks or do you jack the pickups up so high they almost touch the strings? If the middle pickup got in the way of my picking, the pick would be so far past the strings, I would be breaking the strings every time I played. I'm with Howie on the tone though. I used to like the 2 and 4 but now I can't stand them.

I am not sure how the middle pickup gets in the way? How do you guys hold your picks or do you jack the pickups up so high they almost touch the strings? If the middle pickup got in the way of my picking, the pick would be so far past the strings, I would be breaking the strings every time I played. I'm with Howie on the tone though. I used to like the 2 and 4 but now I can't stand them.

I've never had a problem on a Strat but a 3 humbucker guitar like a LP Custom can be tough.

(not mine, but I've been there)

74720_10151152556493870_1140891583_n.jpg

One thing that has helped is on my strats I have the raised pole pieces for the bridge and neck, but the middle pickup I've switched to flat poles. That has helped more than anything.
You don't really own a guitar until you bleed on it.

My favorite Strat switch positions are 2 and 4. The quack tones are what make Strat's sound so damned good. Lowering the middle pickup slightly enhances the quack. I've never heard of anyone having issues with it being in the way, however.

My favorite Strat switch positions are 2 and 4. The quack tones are what make Strat's sound so damned good. Lowering the middle pickup slightly enhances the quack. I've never heard of anyone having issues with it being in the way, however.

I see it posted here all the time. Get some technique, people!

While I do like the 2 and 4 positions on my strat and use them regularly I also feel like they've been done to death so I also understand other people's dislike of that sound...

I also worked out my technique years ago to where the middle pickup does not interfere with my picking...

My biggest issue with my strat is that I have never found a sound out of the single coil bridge pickup that isn't harsh, piercing or just plain awful...if I were to redesign the strat I would only need the middle and neck pickups...unless I put a humbucker at the bridge, which solves everything...

If I'm strumming cowboy chords I don't have a problem. If I'm trying to really dig in I hit the middle pup at times. If I play my strat a lot I seem to avoid it after a while, but if I play a week or two with my tele or lp type I get back to hitting it. Pickup is normal height, not too muddy, not too tinny, just right. And I hold the pick closer to my thumb than M

Gibson_sg_Custom_1963.jpg

I could see this ( jammed PUs) maybe being an issue if you have the action low and are a hard picker, but I have no problems w my strat or my Fatovich 7 string, (set up like a Switchmaster).
fatty.jpg

Back