Question: "Middle Pickup Failboat"

Wire to the middle pup is cut,

cid_BF246603-F61B-46F8-A0E8-24C94B8.jpg

It's silly. What technician throws out a tool because he doesn't like a certain size bolt?

You like the sound of a middle pickup? Position 3. Why not seek out a vintage 3 way switch (or market them) and never accidentally quack again?

Why do you hate options?

It's silly. What technician throws out a tool because he doesn't like a certain size bolt?

You like the sound of a middle pickup? Position 3. Why not seek out a vintage 3 way switch (or market them) and never accidentally quack again?

Why do you hate options?

There's always the potential for the 3 way selector to get stuck in between. In fact, until the late 70s, that's how strat players got that sound. By parking the 3 way switch in-between.

Additionally, the only way to really solve the problem is to get a Super Switch and custom wire it. I don't have the patience for that. I have a Telecaster instead. It rocks. #fuqastrat

We're talking about an electric guitar here, not a classical instrument. The thing about the middle pickup being in the way as "bad technique" assumes there is an accepted single way to approach the instrument.

I play with a thumbpick and fingers. Unless I lower it close to the pickguard, I'm banging the thumbpick on it. I lower it close to the pickguard and carry on. If it means my technique sucks, I'll care when somebody starts paying me to play with the right technique.

I like to play with positions 2 and 4 sometimes. I mostly stay away from them because it highlights what a fourth-rate Mark Knopfler wannabe I really am.

As far as having options, I don't really look at a guitar as a toolbox. It's different. I want it as simple and direct as possible. Everything that doesn't make it sound or play better is a hassle or distraction.

There's always the potential for the 3 way selector to get stuck in between. In fact, until the late 70s, that's how strat players got that sound. By parking the 3 way switch in-between.
Sounds like a technique problem. I suggest a regular pickup switching regimen.

I am aware it took Fender over 20 years to adapt to what the players had been doing for ages.

We're talking about an electric guitar here, not a classical instrument. The thing about the middle pickup being in the way as "bad technique" assumes there is an accepted single way to approach the instrument.

I play with a thumbpick and fingers. Unless I lower it close to the pickguard, I'm banging the thumbpick on it. I lower it close to the pickguard and carry on. If it means my technique sucks, I'll care when somebody starts paying me to play with the right technique.

I like to play with positions 2 and 4 sometimes. I mostly stay away from them because it highlights what a fourth-rate Mark Knopfler wannabe I really am.

As far as having options, I don't really look at a guitar as a toolbox. It's different. I want it as simple and direct as possible. Everything that doesn't make it sound or play better is a hassle or distraction.
I tend to either strum closer to the neck pickup or I anchor my hand on the bridge, which brings me closer to in between the middle and bridge. I've never had the middle pickup get in my way.

I have no problem with the middle pickup. In the older days I did so I changed where I pick on the guitar. When I play fingerstyle, the pickup never ever gets in the way and I use all of the different combinations available.

Back