HN(surprise)AD

Knox in Box

Rustbelt refugee.
So today is my birfday and I had decided to go with my wife to Thomann to pick up my gift that my daughter paid for, which is a SD Hot Rails bridge pup for my Chapman ML1.

As we were there I had told my wife that I wanted to try out a Boss Katana 50 to see if it lived up to the hype. I grabbed one of those ash Charvel double hum teles and put it through the motions and have to say I was impressed. My wife seemed to be annoyed and asking me why this would be better than what I have, etc....

I then went afterwards to try one of the Marcus Miller P basses that they have and feel in love for reals.

As I ordered the pickup and an EV CO4 dynamic mic to better mic my amp for recording she said she didn't feel to well and needed to go out and that she'd meet my at the issue point at the warehouse in 20 minutes. I dutifully finished my test of the bass and headed out there.

We waited for 10 more minutes and finally we saw that everything was ready. While my wife is signing I see the pickup, the mic and then the lady at the counter goes back and comes out with a Boss Katana 50.

My wife is the best, even if it's a plot to go broke before her birthday on March 5th. Time to start selling some stuff.

Nice!!!

Wait until you hook the computer up to it and start dialing the tone. A bunch of pedal simulaters. It took me quite some time and Im still dialing in....

Also have the footswitch. If you need help let me know.

I'm not really happy with the Brown setting, but lead gets me more gain than I'll usually ever need.

What I noticed with the Brown setting is it's smart to back off the gain a bit as well as the treble knob. Can get really fizzy quite fast.
Throwing a low gain Blues Driver (in the boost section) in front of that for leads is fun. :grin:

What I noticed with the Brown setting is it's smart to back off the gain a bit as well as the treble knob. Can get really fizzy quite fast.
Throwing a low gain Blues Driver (in the boost section) in front of that for leads is fun. :grin:
I back the treble off on mine quite a bit (100w 1x12) Not sure if it's the speaker or not. Probably. And for me it's more of an ice pick-y too much treble more than fizzy.

I did that in the store and pretty much nailed the opening to 5150 on it. Tried to push it a bit more at home but didn't like it. Gain was about 9-10 o'clock at the store. In time I'll get it, it's only disappointing because the other channels are so usable throughout their entire range it seems.

Congrats! I really love my katana. It sounds freaking amazing.

If you get a USB cable, you can edit the hell out of patches, save them in cool ways, and download lots of good sounds.

So today is my birfday and I had decided to go with my wife to Thomann to pick up my gift that my daughter paid for, which is a SD Hot Rails bridge pup for my Chapman ML1.

As we were there I had told my wife that I wanted to try out a Boss Katana 50 to see if it lived up to the hype. I grabbed one of those ash Charvel double hum teles and put it through the motions and have to say I was impressed. My wife seemed to be annoyed and asking me why this would be better than what I have, etc....

I then went afterwards to try one of the Marcus Miller P basses that they have and feel in love for reals.

As I ordered the pickup and an EV CO4 dynamic mic to better mic my amp for recording she said she didn't feel to well and needed to go out and that she'd meet my at the issue point at the warehouse in 20 minutes. I dutifully finished my test of the bass and headed out there.

We waited for 10 more minutes and finally we saw that everything was ready. While my wife is signing I see the pickup, the mic and then the lady at the counter goes back and comes out with a Boss Katana 50.

My wife is the best, even if it's a plot to go broke before her birthday on March 5th. Time to start selling some stuff.

I've said it before: never let her go.

HNAD!

The speaker is quite bright, yes.

These amps are really interesting me a lot. Is "quite bright" maybe too bright? or is it alright?

I like a nice warm, round sound.

If it's super-bright, do you think it might smooth out if the speaker was changed to a well-worn-in Eminence Swamp Thang? I've really been thinking about selling an unused amp or two, getting the 100w Katana head + footswitch, and pairing it up with the Swamp Thang. Everything I've heard of them sounds damned impressive.

Back