Richard Thompson is the greatest strat player that has ever lived

mojo_Richard-Thompson-with-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard.jpg

I don't remember the details but I think that was an award from Gibson when he was in Nashville for the Americana Music Festival a few years ago.

He did used to play a goldtop LP with P90s for about 15 minutes while he was in Fairport Convention, but that didn't last long.

I don't remember the details but I think that was an award from Gibson when he was in Nashville for the Americana Music Festival a few years ago.

He did used to play a goldtop LP with P90s for about 15 minutes while he was in Fairport Convention, but that didn't last long.

He's also played telecasters and the Ferrington with the tele/strat/P90 pickup configuration.

He's also played telecasters and the Ferrington with the tele/strat/P90 pickup configuration.

I miss the Ferringtons. No tone knobs and no pickup selector switch, but each pickup had its own volume knob. Those guitars sounded incredible.

This era = Ferrington > Mesa V-Twin > Divided by 13

Fireworks start at 5:37...

Last edited:

Yeah, but you don't even like May. I think their both stellar players, I just like the vocals from one far more than the other. As I've said before, if I don't like your singing and you do vocal music, I'm out. All the guitar I've heard from Richard is great. He's a top player with a excellent playing voice...if he'd just keep his mouth shut we'd all be better off.

Yeah, but you don't even like May. I think their both stellar players, I just like the vocals from one far more than the other. As I've said before, if I don't like your singing and you do vocal music, I'm out. All the guitar I've heard from Richard is great. He's a top player with a excellent playing voice...if he'd just keep his mouth shut we'd all be better off.

I think Brian May's relevancy and veneration is largely due to the death of Freddie Mercury, which shot them back into the spotlight and public consciousness. That's not to say that he hasn't written some classic riffs or didn't have great tone, but we all know who the star was in that band and anyone that says otherwise is engaging in historical revisionism.

I think Brian May's relevancy and veneration is largely due to the death of Freddie Mercury, which shot them back into the spotlight and public consciousness. That's not to say that he hasn't written some classic riffs or didn't have great tone, but we all know who the star was in that band and anyone that says otherwise is engaging in historical revisionism.

I loved queen from at least a decade before Freddie died and the guitar was always HUGE in Queen. I think Freddie's grandeur blinded people to how stellar every member of the band was and overshadowed one of the best pop/rock guitarist to ever come from England (or anywhere for that matter). You can't let stage presence and a singular voice give you myopia, it's all there in the music. Being the "star" is the job of the frontman. GRanted Freddie was a far bigger contributor to Queen than DLR was to Van Halen, but DLR was the "star" show/frontman of VH (despite the name), but as history proved, he was not the creative power of that band.

So I get you, but the words flow with wrongness and I can't agree less. :thu:

Brian May contributed some pretty terrific rhythm guitar, but his leads never blew me away, even if there were a couple of iconic ones. They were dramatic and suited the songs, but they were mostly adequate. Nothing too imaginative, nothing that makes you stand up or hold your breath. And his lead tone was thin and shrill.

Anyway, I know that he was brought up by tompetty, and I don't doubt that it makes perfect sense to him, but this discussion has been specific to strat players from the get-go.

Brian May contributed some pretty terrific rhythm guitar, but his leads never blew me away, even if there were a couple of iconic ones. They were dramatic and suited the songs, but they were mostly adequate. Nothing too imaginative, nothing that makes you stand up or hold your breath. And his lead tone was thin and shrill.

Anyway, I know that he was brought up by tompetty, and I don't doubt that it makes perfect sense to him, but this discussion has been specific to strat players from the get-go.

I mean, May used Strat pickups from some British knock off (Burns) on his guitar, so maybe that's the thread connection?

Oh, and you need a thin and shrill tone when you're going to quadruple track it every. damn. time. :embarrassed:

I mean, May used Strat pickups from some British knock off (Burns) on his guitar, so maybe that's the thread connection?

Oh, and you need a thin and shrill tone when you're going to quadruple track it every. damn. time. :embarrassed:

Ah yes, the Randy Rhoads effect.

But I feel that's the case with his live sound as well.

Back